2 Day Free Shipping Sale from Theta Ridge if over $50

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Ron

#1: Post by Ron »

I have no personal or business interest in this but there is a brief 2-day free shipping green coffee sale from Theta Ridge in South Bend for orders over $50. I used to live in Indiana and I liked their green coffee when I used it. High shipping rates have caused me to use other sources recently but I accidentally saw their free shipping offer and I'm passing it on.

It's supposed to run from 9/9-9/11 but I just bought some at 9:00 PM on 9/8. Prices look very reasonable but are less so when shipping is added so this is a limited opportunity if anyone needs green coffee.

In their words: "Free Shipping on Orders Over $50 only in the online store Sept 9-11. Due to high demand, these orders may take up to 5 days to ship.
Thank you for your understanding."

https://shop.thetaridgecoffee.com/

GC7

#2: Post by GC7 »

They have a full line of Brazil Daterra Farm coffees at very good prices.

This year's crop of Sweet Blue is recommended. It really is a Mexican spicy chocolate bar. It has been good brewed, as a SO and blended especially with a fruity Ethiopian.

bicktrav

#3: Post by bicktrav »

How are their prices so low? Are they selling fresh crops/high grade coffees, or are these all older, lower grade? They've got single pound packages of Antigua for 3.55/lb, Ethiopia for 4.50/lb, etc. Those coffees are near twice the price at places like Sweet Maria's and Bodhi. What's the deal?

GC7

#4: Post by GC7 replying to bicktrav »

I've thought that myself before. I remember looking up that they are the distributor of Daterra Farm beans in the US. If Coffee Bean Coral has to buy from them, their prices have to be higher. The Sweet Blue I bought a month or so ago is fresh and tasty. The others you mentioned I have no clue and have not tried. Maybe they are less regarded farms. Daterra is well thought of.

EDIT: There appears to be a limited number of distributors of their coffees in the US. Here is a map from the Farm website. I guess this shows they are legit and get beans directly from the farm.
http://www.daterracoffee.com.br/where-to-find/

mtbizzle

#5: Post by mtbizzle »

bicktrav wrote:How are their prices so low?
I've never purchased from them, but I recall checking prices once before, and I felt like shipping was a pretty decent chunk,.
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle

EddyQ

#6: Post by EddyQ »

bicktrav wrote:How are their prices so low?
I've been enjoying Theta Ridge coffees for years. Usually with the lower priced beans the quality is low. But this only means there are more bean defects than a higher grade. In terms of flavor in the cup, I've had very good luck.

Right now, I am finishing up a 20lb bag of Brazil Bob-oLink. It is really a crowd pleaser. Smells wonderful and wonderful for espresso. Not much for acidity, but it makes up with good body. I drop the roast half way between end of FC and SC. I've had good luck with Brazil Santos as well. In fact, people like it better than Daterra sweet yellow and blue that I had in the past. IMO, all their direct trade coffees are worth a try. Their Nicaragua is a huge flavorful bean. Not high in acidity tho.

Try their Colombian EA decaf. It does have acidity and sweetness.

I have not tried many of their African beans. The Kenyan AA was pretty good a year ago. It lacked the ability to achieve a battery acid brew, but made up with a very smooth citrus flavor. Very good for espresso IMO.
LMWDP #671

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

GC7 wrote:They have a full line of Brazil Daterra Farm coffees at very good prices.

This year's crop of Sweet Blue is recommended. It really is a Mexican spicy chocolate bar. It has been good brewed, as a SO and blended especially with a fruity Ethiopian.

I went for 10lbs at $51 shipped. Thanks for the recommendation.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

I picked up 5lbs each of the Sweet Blue & Full Bloom. Thanks!
LMWDP 267

jtbenson

#9: Post by jtbenson »

I just placed an order of 15 lbs, great value, thanks for the heads up!
"the best thing about that coffee was the cup"
-Tadej Pogačar

GregoryJ

#10: Post by GregoryJ »

Any recommendations if I like to roast a little bit into second crack for espresso?