2 Day Free Shipping Sale from Theta Ridge if over $50 - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EddyQ

#51: Post by EddyQ »

GC7 wrote:If you look closely, the holes are in a regular pattern. My hypothesis was that it was purposeful with the intent of allowing airflow through the beans as a burlap bag would do.
Yup, they sure look intentional. I was guessing they may have had issues in the past possibly with air travel and pressure differences. But I've gotten bags from Theta Ridge, Sweet Maria's and Roastmasters with no venting at all. My beans from Burmans look great, I hope folks are not taking this approach as a negative for Burmans.

My main point was even with the clear bags, the greens are not much more protected than a plastic burlap. And it is wise to quickly add protection and/or as JohnB does, freeze the beans.
LMWDP #671

kbell

#52: Post by kbell »

I'm glad others are trying/enjoying the Zambia. I am so taken by it, I just bought 50 lbs! I do love that coffee!

Frankc1450

#53: Post by Frankc1450 »

Hi, can any of you recommend TR coffee that is especially good for espresso?
This is the first I've seen of Daterra coffee. Is it good? The idea sounds great, just wondering if it's the real deal.

Frank

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#54: Post by JohnB. replying to Frankc1450 »

The Daterra Sweet Blue is tasty as espresso. Creamy chocolate with a citrus acidity. Depends what type of shot you are looking for??
LMWDP 267

Frankc1450

#55: Post by Frankc1450 »

We like pretty traditional full bodied espresso. Not fond of underoasted "green" flavors.

Frankc1450

#56: Post by Frankc1450 »

JohnB. wrote:All my greens go into glass jars or vacuum bags then into the freezer within a day of arrival.
You really freeze the beans? How do you thaw them without moisture ruining them? I've never seen the need.
BTW, Bodhi ships in nice plastic bags.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by JohnB. replying to Frankc1450 »

Lots of info on freezing roasted & green coffee on H-B if you search. Way too much for me to peck out here. What moisture?? The greens are either in a vacuum sealed glass canning jar or a vacuum sealed bag. The only moisture inside is what is in the bean. Greens last indefinitely when kept in a cold storage freezer. Currently drinking a Yemen coffee that I roasted 10 days ago. Purchased the greens in 2012 from Sweet Marias. When I opened the vac sealed bag the greens smelled just like the day they went in the freezer.

As far as how do I thaw them? I place the bag or jar on my roasting table unopened & let the room temp work it's magic. If there is any condensation it will be on the outside of the jar or bag; not inside with the greens. Been doing this for 10 years with no issues yet.
LMWDP 267

Frankc1450

#58: Post by Frankc1450 »

Thanks John! I'm new here. Eight year old beans is pretty impressive.
:D