1st effort roasting on Huky 500T... advice? - Page 43

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bicktrav

#421: Post by bicktrav »

Rickpatbrown wrote:I always assumed that everyine else was wrong, lol. I realize now why a lot of members report their drop temp as ° past 1stC. When I look at a profile, first thing I do is look at 1stC temp, and adjust everything in my head. Unless it's in °C, then I just feel dumb for being an American.
Haha! Yeah, as long as you're calculating for the disparity in FC temps, you're good. I just find it easier to allow Artisan to offset it for me, so I don't have to perform any calculations.

bicktrav

#422: Post by bicktrav »

Brewzologist wrote:@Gary; Interesting you see 395F natively on your Huky. On mine it's been around 380-385F with both the stock TC's and now RTD's.

@Gary Tree; You'll see a lot of posts here referring to "FC start + X degrees". This provides a common ground for discussing bean roast targets between machines with different native temp readings.
That's interesting. Most Huky users I've spoken with experience FC between 390 and 395. I figure it's something to do with probe placement, drum size, etc. In any case, I've found an offset useful for the purposes of standardization, but if you're hitting FC at 380-385, it wouldn't be necessary.

Marcelnl

#423: Post by Marcelnl »

sorry for digging up this thread...

For a while I'm now using RTDs and love them, today I did some back to back roasts in a cold shed (greens now at room temp) and was wondering about the consistency of the 3 batches I did of one green (a Nicaraguan I quite like);
First time ever using the comparator, man I love Artisan!
To me it looks as if the RTDs do a great job!

LMWDP #483

Rickpatbrown

#424: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Marcelnl wrote: For a while I'm now using RTDs and love them, today I did some back to back roasts in a cold shed (greens now at room temp) and was wondering about the consistency of the 3 batches I did of one green (a Nicaraguan I quite like);
First time ever using the comparator, man I love Artisan!
To me it looks as if the RTDs do a great job!
Wow! That's impressive. Did you use the exact same heat changes? Your warmup time and b/w batch protocol must be on point.
Do they taste identical?

Well done.

Marcelnl

#425: Post by Marcelnl »

Thanks, to me it says more about the RTD's making this possible than that it reflects on me !
At one point I was mesmerized by the Artisan screen as the BT graph seemed to 'stick' to the previous graph in the background automatically only deviating with minor spikes, I wondered if Artisan is programmed like how satnav is programmed to 'hug' a road...

I definitely did not follow the exact same gas reductions, the principles were similar yet I need to adapt the 'flow'' of events on the fly, likely to compensate for some variables I am unable to control (Huky heating up/cooling down, environmental temperature fluctations etc).

I did follow my in between roasts 'protocol' and it seems to work, I was also interested in seeing if the differences I notice during roasts reflect in roast parameters. My prelim conclusion is that the RTDs make roasting with a Huky a well controlled system, which might bode well for automation.

I haven't tasted either one, as they were roasted earlier today...great suggestion though, I will 'cup' them tomorrow!
LMWDP #483

charlesaf3

#426: Post by charlesaf3 »

an aside to previous - I roast 454g on Huky every time, without issue. There are always a few beans trapped, I blow them out with compressed air

I'm experimenting with fast roasts of 454, which have not been an issue.