Macap M4 Electronic Doserless vs. Mazzer Mini E Espresso Grinder - Page 5

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
gscace

#41: Post by gscace »

HB wrote:For the record, I believe the WDT is a miracle worker for grinders that produce lots of clumps. But I did learn from this session that a well practiced Stockfleths Move is less labor intensive and the results are very close, in appearance and most importantly, in taste.
FWIW, most of the grinders that we tested in the WBC machine testing week in Vancouver last January were electronic dosing designs. Most produced grinds with some level of particle aggregates (we don't use the word clumping). Particle aggregates were not necessarily viewed as problematic by the pro community. Four teams of three evaluators per team performed independent evaluations of the grinders. The members of our team used Stockfleths distribution scheme and had no problems with particle aggregates at all. Our evaluation team was more concerned with the results in the cup than the appearance of the grinds out of the chute.

-Greg

RomaCapoccia

#42: Post by RomaCapoccia »

Stockfleths Move?

Hmm, I had missed that one! Yes, it's pretty much what I do.
gscace wrote:The members of our team used Stockfleths distribution scheme and had no problems with particle aggregates at all. Our evaluation team was more concerned with the results in the cup than the appearance of the grinds out of the chute.

-Greg
That's exactly my point!

Simone

KimH

#43: Post by KimH »

gscace wrote:Our evaluation team was more concerned with the results in the cup than the appearance of the grinds out of the chute.
Good point! I like that :)

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by uscfroadie »

I just bought the Macap M4 Digital and took delivery with great anticipation, but after battling the clumping issue for nearly a week now I'm about to send it back under the 30-day buyer's remorse policy. The clumping is absolutely ridiculous! :evil: I have tried three different types of beans, all are within 8-12 days of the roast date. On the Macap I get massive clumps, yet I can walk over to my Mazzer Mini and get clumping maybe 1/10th the size. As a result, with the Macap I get channeling unless I use the WDT; on the Mazzer I get a beautiful pull.

So, why upgrade? I am looking for a grinder that is quicker and neater than the Mini with equal or better performance in the cup without having to use the WDT. A chrome/poished finish would be a plus. I'm thinking the Mazzer SJ or La Cimbali Max Hybrid may be the ticket...or perhaps the doser version of the M4.
Merle

luca
Team HB

#45: Post by luca replying to uscfroadie »

Why not get the mini E?
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

cannonfodder
Team HB

#46: Post by cannonfodder »

As a general rule, doserless grinders will produce more clumps than their doser counterpart. The thwacking of the doser lever breaks up clumps as the rotate through the doser. There are exceptions, the doserless Mazzer Robur produces relatively little clumps, I believe the Mahlkonig K30 grinds relatively clumpless but both are substantially more than the Macap.
Dave Stephens

narc

#47: Post by narc »

uscfroadie wrote:So, why upgrade? I am looking for a grinder that is quicker and neater than the Mini with equal or better performance in the cup without having to use the WDT. ...or perhaps the doser version of the M4.
I used a MazzerMini doser version for a few years. Received a M4/5 as a HolidayGift from H-B sponsor. The MaCap doser version is similar more than an upgrade from the Mazzer Mini. Sell your Mini, exchange your M4 for a conical or hybrid for an upgrade.
LMWDP #151