La Marzocco Linea Mini Review - Page 2

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
sashaman

#11: Post by sashaman »

Yes, thanks very much for a great review. Is there any chance we can get a video of the steaming (not sure if there is a moratorium from LM on videos from early reviewers)? I'm having difficulty understanding how the steam wand differs from ball-socket type steam wands.

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

The steam wand is mounted on two joints; one allows it to move forward and backward, the other allows it to rotate. You can combine these two directions to move the steam wand to nearly any position. If you want to steam holding the pitcher to the right and parallel with the front of the espresso machine, the wand will rotate in that direction, but will be at a fixed angle. I find the most natural position is straight ahead directly under the steam knob since that gives the barista a full range of motion and allows them to easily purge the steam wand into the driptray.
Dan Kehn

sashaman

#13: Post by sashaman »

Thanks, very helpful! Also, sorry if this is a dumb question, but that pressure gauge on the right visible in the video is the brew pressure gauge, correct? Why is it showing 9-10 bar if the pump isn't running?

another_jim
Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim »

HB wrote:The steam wand is mounted on two joints; one allows it to move forward and backward, the other allows it to rotate.
Isn't that exactly the same range of motion as a ball joint; only you have to take a longer path? I.e. adjust the angle by going back and forth, then adjust the position by circling.
Jim Schulman

HB
Admin

#15: Post by HB »

sashaman wrote:Why is [the brew pressure gauge] showing 9-10 bar if the pump isn't running?
That's normal. As explained in Brew Pressure at Rest, it's a closed hydraulic system, so the brew pressure gauge reading when idle will vary between zero and the expansion valve setting. The actual brew pressure can only be measured when the pump is running.
another_jim wrote:Isn't that exactly the same range of motion as a ball joint; only you have to take a longer path?
That's correct. I realized that I should have shown it more clearly in the video once it was already uploaded. :|

To clarify, if the wand is positioned parallel to the front of the espresso machine (i.e., pointing directly to the right), it cannot be tilted up/down directly. You must tilt it slightly back and then rotate downward, i.e., take a longer path to reach the same orientation that a swivel joint could do directly. I'm sure there's a technical name for this type of joint (two gimbals allowing rotation in two axes?).
Dan Kehn

Bob_McBob

#16: Post by Bob_McBob »

What kind of valve does the steam wand use?
Chris

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by mgrayson »

The wand joint is clear if you go to the Linea parts catalog at the La Marzocco site (I just Googled "Linea parts")
http://www.lamarzoccousa.com/wp-content ... V5.1BW.pdf
From the video, I'm guessing it's the same on the mini. Probably also the same steam valve, but not sure.

--Matt

Paolo

#18: Post by Paolo »

Fascinating reading.

Is there a 220-240v Linea mini in the pipeline? If so, what is the timeframe on this?

Teme

#19: Post by Teme »

Paolo wrote:Is there a 220-240v Linea mini in the pipeline? If so, what is the timeframe on this?
Yes. First ones should be shipping in May/June in Europe as far I know.

Br,
Teme

Beezer

#20: Post by Beezer »

Man, you guys are killing me with this. Sounds like a perfect machine for how I like to pull shots. No bells or whistles, no fancy pressure profiling or programmable preinfusion. Just simple, reliable performance.

I'm a bit concerned that maybe it's too demanding for someone like me who's not a pro barista. I feel like I pull good, tasty shots on my current e61 machine, but I'm not sure that something like the Linea would be as forgiving. Is this machine so unforgiving that only experts should apply?

For what it's worth, I drive a [lightly] modded Subaru too. I love the idea of a Lotus Exige, but I would never buy one since it's too much of a barebones track car. A Porsche 911 would be more my style. :D
Lock and load!