Comments on Decent Espresso DE1+ Review - Page 8

Behind the scenes of the site's upcoming equipment reviews.
r7

#71: Post by r7 » Nov 19, 2019, 3:02 am

bbrockva,

GAC said it better than I could have. I have found no need or interest to chase any difference in mouthfeel with the DE. Having too much fun experimenting with subtleties based on pressure and flow profiles. With the DE you can achieve repeatable consistency or endless exploration as desired.

bbrockva

#72: Post by bbrockva » Nov 19, 2019, 4:36 pm

GAC and r7 - The feedback here is great. Thank you. I'll most likely be getting a DE1+ in the next couple of months. It sounds like an amazing machine. May I ask which water/filters you use and how often to descale, and which descaling method you use? (I can also wait and check it out later on the owners forum.)

GAC

#73: Post by GAC » Nov 19, 2019, 7:55 pm

Water filters: It really depends on where you live. I live in tropical rainforest and our water is very soft with low mineralisation. Others have a very different experience. On my old HX machine it never needed descaling even after a decade! (Yes, I did check regularly :) ). I use a dual undersink filters mainly for sediment and residual chlorine. On the owners forum there is lots of information from users of special recipes for water to rainwater from the tank. I have DE1+ machine #29 and have never had to descale it (yet!)

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#74: Post by RapidCoffee » Nov 19, 2019, 9:27 pm

@bbrockva
I recommend you start with bottled water, unless you're sure your tap water is soft. Prevention is better than cure!
John

r7

#75: Post by r7 » Nov 20, 2019, 12:07 am

We have very soft high quality snow melt to surface water here in the PNW so my only filter is a carbon block for dechlor and polishing. Descaling here is rarely ever needed.