Comments on Decent Espresso DE1+ Review - Page 7

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
oly_puller

#61: Post by oly_puller »

Hi All - I don't want to derail the thread, but I am considering a Decent machine pretty seriously and I'm confused by the last few posts about mouth-feel not being on par with other machines. How is it that with the same beans/grind/water and the ability to adjust *all* the parameters of the extraction there's still something that effects mouth feel that can't be accounted for? If a Decent owner could chime in on their experience - I'm all ears. Also - I'm curious - for those that didn't get the Pro model, are you concerned about the warranty - it's the only difference I see between the + and the pro. Am I wrong on that? I run a crimina67 and am accustomed to bullet-proof machine...
...better make it a double!
LMWDP #030

RyanP

#62: Post by RyanP replying to oly_puller »

It's definitely not bulletproof but there's no doubt in my mind that John and his team will get you sorted out if you run into any issues. Anybody who is on the basecamp forum would agree they are heavily invested in the success of the machine and satisfaction of their customers.

NelisB

#63: Post by NelisB »

peacecup wrote:Isn't that one of the main reasons why lever machines are still so popular? At least I've always thought that.
I think that continuous pressure and flow are important for mouthfeel and body. Spring levers do this right.

oly_puller

#64: Post by oly_puller replying to NelisB »

But with the Decent - can't you manage that? I'm still confused how a certain machine can produce mouth-feel where another wouldn't with the same variables controlled. Water/Beans/Grind/Extraction - what am I missing?
...better make it a double!
LMWDP #030

r7

#65: Post by r7 »

I have been using a Decent for the past 16 months. It is a delight to use. Some users have experimented with changes in headspace to affect mouthfeel. I haven't felt any need or desire to experiment along those lines. Apparently reducing headspace seems to increase mouthfeel...

NelisB

#66: Post by NelisB »

oly_puller wrote:But with the Decent - can't you manage that? I'm still confused how a certain machine can produce mouth-feel where another wouldn't with the same variables controlled. Water/Beans/Grind/Extraction - what am I missing?
The pump of the DE is pulsing, so pressure and flow are not smooth and continuous. KvdW uses springs as shock absorbers in his PPIC and IM to smoothen out pressure and flow. KvdW delivers premium body and mouthfeel.

luca
Team HB

#67: Post by luca »

oly_puller wrote:But with the Decent - can't you manage that? I'm still confused how a certain machine can produce mouth-feel where another wouldn't with the same variables controlled. Water/Beans/Grind/Extraction - what am I missing?
The effect of the headspace between the shower screen and the puck. Or possibly between the dispersion block and the puck. What is this effect? I don't think anyone really knows. But the addition of a spacer certainly seems to require the use of a coarser grind.

But it would be interesting to run this experiment in reverse, too. What happens if you take a regular machine like any e61 box or a spaziale, since a few people seem to have one of them, and raise the shower screen? Well, we can't do that. But we could take a very deep basket and dose less in it and see what happens. The result will be confounded by the different basket hole size, but we might learn something. Really, we would need to build a rig with, say, a regular basket with an extra, say, 4-7mm of depth added to it. I'm sure someone cleverer than me could figure it out. Or maybe we could get a basket manufacturer to do it.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes
★ Helpful

bbrockva

#68: Post by bbrockva »

r7 -- So, I'm wondering, do you think the mouthfeel is comparable to espresso from other machines, or is mouthfeel not important to you?

Firedancer

#69: Post by Firedancer »

For $60-100 many have resolved this mouthfeel, however keep in mind this is very subjective and most don't feel a need to make the change. The ability to move between all these various brew methods is beyond comparison.

GAC

#70: Post by GAC »

Re: the "mouthfeel" question with the DE1. Sloppy pucks were often a talking point on the owners forum and it was discovered that adding a spacer between the dispersion screen and the shower screen resulted in some flow improvements and also created drier pucks - similar to (say) your average E61 machine. My own experience of adding spacers was a "thicker" shot with more crema and a more 'chocolate bomb' sort of taste. Very similar to what I was used to with my previous machine. The feeling was ah, familiarity returns. But there was a price to pay (for me) for pucks that pop out and pours with a nice crema, thicker mouthfeel and the chocolate bomb. Subtle flavours I had grown to appreciate with the DE were now missing. The spectrum of flavours seemed to have changed. Subtle fruit flavours and nuanced flavours I don't have the vocabulary to describe were missing. So I removed 1 spacer (of 2) which gave me wet pucks, but not a slurry, less so called mouthfeel, but more of the flavour spectrum I had grown to appreciate. So if I had to choose mouthfeel or flavour and wet pucks I would choose the latter every time. The great thing about the DE is that you CAN actually test these things out for yourself and then decide because it's all about taste preferences and not fixed rules that apply to everybody.