Comments on Decent Espresso DE1+ Review - Page 6

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
gunda

#51: Post by gunda »

The only thing I'd like to add is that a big advantage of the Decent is the fast warmup, and I find if that I pull a shot as soon as the machine hits temp then the portafilter and basket isn't quite as warm as I'd like it, given that I have to to pull them out a minute or two before the machine hits temp to load the basket. So if you want a properly warmed basket and portafilter then you have to wait an extra couple of minutes, or you resort to boiled water. The price you pay for speed.

katkat

#52: Post by katkat »

I'd love to get some more observations about the following:

"I was unable to match S1 body/mouthfeel on the DE1. To be fair, I had a similar experience when I reviewed the Breville Dual Boiler BES920XL. ("...The S1 extractions were thicker and richer with better mouthfeel.")

My machine is a La Spaz Mini, which might be different than the S1 (vibe pump/reservoir vs rotary/plumbed.) I really love rich/thick traditional Italian espresso... (Not a fan of the "new" acidic flavors...) Any observation would be appreciated.

Advertisement
GAC

#53: Post by GAC replying to katkat »

My experience with the DE1+ is that it reveals more subtle flavours than a traditional machine but the pour does lack in body and "mouthfeel" (to me). However, a number of DE owners, including me, have been adding custom made brass and more recently SS spacers of various thicknesses which increases the gap between the dispersion plate and the shower screen and also reduces the headspace between the shower screen and the puck. The result for me has been drier pucks, thicker and richer pour with one or two of these spacers applied. However, and here's the caveat for me - despite the pour being much more like what I was familiar with with my previous machine with richer crema and body and more mouthfeel etc, something seemed to be "missing" from the flavour. It was more like a chocolate bomb than the subtle and nuanced flavours I had previously. For that reason, I removed one spacer which gave me a result half way between these two extremes. The spacers (which are easily added), make the pour much more convenient and many appreciate the flavour more too.

So in summary you can now have both the richness and mouthfeel you want and also the wonderful complexity the DE can bring out just with a simple change. The experimentation with spacers continues on the DE owners forum, but the overwhelming consensus so far is positive.

another_jim
Team HB

#54: Post by another_jim »

It's amazing that with all the effort to get pressure and temperature perfect; the mouthfeel is more about the subtleties of how the water hits and interacts with the puck. I'm following all this with bated breath; but I don't think we've even scratched the surface of what's going on here.
Jim Schulman

bhauff

#55: Post by bhauff »

Recently John posted a summary of some experimentation that has been going on with spacers between the brass dispersion block and the shower screen. I acquired some brass spacers CNC'd by one of the other Decent owners. I am currently running them through their paces, but I have found that the body of the shots went up dramatically, and though I haven't done side by side comparisons I would say the body matches the La Spaz Vivaldi I I use at our church.
Enjoying the adventure is as rewarding as the destination.

Firedancer

#56: Post by Firedancer »

GAC wrote:custom made brass and more recently SS spacers
How do I go about getting some of these SS spacers?

rimblas

#57: Post by rimblas replying to Firedancer »

Are you on the Basecamp group? If so lookup Sheldon Wong

Advertisement
Firedancer

#58: Post by Firedancer replying to rimblas »

I am not. Exclusive Decent forum?
I just purchased the machine and it will hopefully arrive soon.

rimblas

#59: Post by rimblas replying to Firedancer »

Congratulations!
Yes, it's the owners forum and you should receive the invite to join very soon. If not send them a message via the website and the will add you.
It's an overwhelming amount of information, but you'll be able too see details on the SS and brass spacers.

peacecup

#60: Post by peacecup »

It's amazing that with all the effort to get pressure and temperature perfect; the mouthfeel is more about the subtleties of how the water hits and interacts with the puck. I'm following all this with bated breath; but I don't think we've even scratched the surface of what's going on here.
Isn't that one of the main reasons why lever machines are still so popular? At least I've always thought that.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."