Comments on Decent Espresso DE1+ Review - Page 5

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
hbuchtel

#41: Post by hbuchtel »

Thanks John for the review!

I'm interested in how much electricity the Decent uses. Do you have a way of measuring or calculating that?
LMWDP #53

rimblas

#42: Post by rimblas »

This measurements below are from a DE1PRO user that's using it on an RV with solar panels. :shock:

--

Line Voltage: ≈123 v

Peak from cold to ready: 9.13 amps (≈1,100 watts)
Peak at idle in-between shots: 3.97 amps (≈500 watts)
I took three startup measurements and three measurements during which the machine was idling for up to 15 minutes. I recorded only the peak-the averages were quite a lot lower.

What I didn't know that this test seems to suggest is that the machine is only at peak amperage while doing things like pulling a shot, steaming, or dispensing hot water (peak for these things was ≈1,600 watts)

gunda

#43: Post by gunda »

That's peak consumption. I assume that typical total consumption over the course of a day is, or could / should be, considerably less than an E61 because the DE doesn't need the same sort of warmup and isn't keeping a large boiler or two at temperature.

RapidCoffee (original poster)
Team HB

#44: Post by RapidCoffee (original poster) »

hbuchtel wrote:I'm interested in how much electricity the Decent uses. Do you have a way of measuring or calculating that?
Sorry, no. But as noted above, power consumption is modest, and you don't have to leave the machine on 24/7.

Because the DE1 warms up so quickly, I do not bother with the built-in scheduler (timer), just start the app (which turns on the machine) in the morning when I stagger down to the kitchen. By the time I'm ready to pull a shot, the machine is warmed up and ready to go. To reduce power consumption, I program the machine to "sleep" after 10 minutes of inactivity. This turns off the machine and reduces power consumption to near zero. A tap on the tablet screen restarts the DE1 app and reheats the group in a couple of minutes.
John

katkat

#45: Post by katkat »

These might be silly questions, but - in a traditional machine the large mass of the boiler and the grouphead help with keeping the portafilter warm as well as the cups, so:

(1) I understand the fast warmup time of the DE1, but what about warming up the portafilter?
(2) There is no cup warmer, is there? How do you warm up the cups?

RapidCoffee (original poster)
Team HB

#46: Post by RapidCoffee (original poster) »

katkat wrote: (1) I understand the fast warmup time of the DE1, but what about warming up the portafilter?
Not silly questions at all. Lack of a cup warmer is IMHO a minor issue, since there are so many options for heating things up in a kitchen (hot water, steam wand, microwave, electric cup warmers, etc.).
1) I leave the PF locked (loosely) in the grouphead, where it gets warmed by conduction.
2) A short flush into the cup warms both the cup and the PF.
John

rimblas

#47: Post by rimblas »

katkat wrote:These might be silly questions, but - in a traditional machine the large mass of the boiler and the grouphead help with keeping the portafilter warm as well as the cups, so:

(1) I understand the fast warmup time of the DE1, but what about warming up the portafilter?
Good questions.

The grouphead has a heater and it warms up the portafilter. The portafilter is warm (maybe 100 - 120F, didn't measure) after 3 to 4 min when the machine is ready to go. Then it's pretty much hot after 5min.

Some people have implemented their own cup rack, after 30 to 40 min the top is warm enough to warm up cups. I personally got a Jura Cup Warmer. But as @RapidCoffee says, there are many options.

katkat

#48: Post by katkat »

Thanks!

Honestly - after reading a lot about this machine I feel that I would love to have it for 6-9 months as a lab experiment, side by side with my La Spaz mini. In the long run, I am not sure I can live without the physical buttons, cup warmer, steam power, simultaneous steam & brew and the heft of a traditional machine.

rimblas

#49: Post by rimblas »

katkat wrote:Thanks!

Honestly - after reading a lot about this machine I feel that I would love to have it for 6-9 months as a lab experiment
After 6 months there will be too much to love to let it go :lol:

katkat

#50: Post by katkat replying to rimblas »

Fair! :D