Buyer's Guide to the Vibiemme Domobar Super - Page 19

Behind the scenes of the site's upcoming equipment reviews.
User avatar
cafeIKE

#181: Post by cafeIKE »

My machine has never stalled from cold and it's started from cold every morning for 18 months. Ditto if I leave it on all day or restart late in the day.

The ONLY way I can get the stall is if I flush a very little water, a second or two, with no back force after pulling a shot.

My normal modus operandi is to leave the puck in the group until I make the next shot. I flush a few ml just before I lock in the next to clean the screen and flush out the remains of the last. At the end of the session I plain water backflush to full pressure, stop the pump and release. The machine usually idles on the timer for an hour more and the stall does not occur.

You may want to try raising the boiler water level a few mm. Someone at a.c recommended that when I was having the problem and it dramatically reduced the susceptability. So much so, that it took several months for it to occur again.

If you have the TA and the group is not at ~200°F after 30 minutes, it might be instructive to try a plain water backflush to full pressure and see what happens.

User avatar
AndyS

#182: Post by AndyS »

Randy G. wrote:Happened to me again last night. I turned the VBM on at about 5:00pm or so, anticipating dinner guests. When I went to make coffee at 7:30 PM it had stalled. I flushed and waited, and flushed and waited, and it took a long time just to get the brewhead temp back to the high 180's F. using Eric's adapter.
Sorry about the problems you're having.

I hear there's a more reliable home machine available. It's called "Silvia" or "Silvia" or something like that. Maybe you should find one and give it a try.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

User avatar
Randy G.

#183: Post by Randy G. » replying to AndyS »

Thanks, Andy. Always nice to know you're there to help...

I did turn up the P'stat about .05 ATM and I think it may have helped. Will give it a try in the next few days to see...

And as far as Silvia, the low-quality pulls I have had from the VBM have been about on par with the average pulls from Silvia, and overall, the VBM's pulls are superior on a consistent basis.
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

User avatar
AndyS

#184: Post by AndyS »

Randy G. wrote:Thanks, Andy. Always nice to know you're there to help...
No problem, Randy, just doing my humble best to be of assistance. :)
Randy G. wrote:And as far as Silvia, the low-quality pulls I have had from the VBM have been about on par with the average pulls from Silvia, and overall, the VBM's pulls are superior on a consistent basis.
What is it about the new machine, in your opinion, that makes the difference?
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

User avatar
Randy G.

#185: Post by Randy G. »

AndyS wrote:What is it about the new machine, in your opinion, that makes the difference?
You are better suited to answer that. I can only guess- The gentle pressure ramp at the beginning of the pull? Temperature ramp better suited to the way I make my beverages and my blend? I never did the OPV adjustment to Silvia (although I did check it once), so having that on the VBM might be a factor? Longer water path on the VBM dampens the pump's pulsations more effectively? All just guesses. I certainly do not miss the jig I had to go through going from brew to steam and back to brew temp again with Silvia. I am using the same bottomless PF as I did with Silvia, and I never got the amount of crema or tiger striping on Silvia as I now do on the VBM....
And I think this is the second time I answered this question in this thread..... Tell you what... Come on by and bring some coffee, and you can figure it out on your own! :wink:
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

User avatar
AndyS

#186: Post by AndyS »

Randy G. wrote: I can only guess- The gentle pressure ramp at the beginning of the pull? Temperature ramp better suited to the way I make my beverages and my blend? I never did the OPV adjustment to Silvia (although I did check it once), so having that on the VBM might be a factor? Longer water path on the VBM dampens the pump's pulsations more effectively?
Of the factors you list, the temperature ramp and the OPV seem like realistic possibilities. The physical design of the group and dispersion screen might be relevant, too.
Randy G. wrote:Tell you what... Come on by and bring some coffee, and you can figure it out on your own! :wink:
OK, I'll hop on the corporate jet and be right over!
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

User avatar
cannonfodder
Team HB

#187: Post by cannonfodder »

The official buyers guide has been published, Buyer's Guide to the Vibiemme Domobar Super. The review summarizes the Bench thread for those looking for something shorter to read. The Article Feedback thread is located here.
Dave Stephens