Yet another Mazzer Super Jolly doserless conversion...

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
grecobene

#1: Post by grecobene »

Hello Folks,
First off I want to thank all of you for the gold mine of information that is available on these boards. There would be a few k$ more in my pockets, but I'd still live in a world of mediocre espresso without you.

TL;DR - I converted my Mazzer Super Jolly to doserless and it now looks like this:

So I bought a doser SJ with the intention of converting the thing to doserless. I didn't buy the doserless version as it comes with overpriced electronic gadgetry that almost doubles the price tag.

First step, remove the doser and take some measurements to build a CAD model of the machine:

Then, spend way too much time over-engineer a solution to hold the chute in place and cover the motor opening:

Now off to the 3d printer. 10 hours later, find out the print lifted from the bed... this will do to test the fit and function. The aluminium foil is to cover the motor opening. I could have closed it with plastic, but that added 2 hours of print time so I figured I would use sheet metal for this. To my great surprise, the fit was perfect even though the two sets of screw holes were on overconstrained surfaces of which one was curved. Ugly but functional so far.

Had a 1-¼" stainless steel pipe lying around. Cleaned, polished and cut the thing to length.

I replaced the hopper with an icing bottle ( Credit to wsfarrell for the idea) to blow air through the burrs and chute to flush the coffee grounds trapped in there. Works really well, retention is quite minimal:

Now that everything works, start a new print with a few mods, glue an aluminium sheet from a soda can, assemble and enjoy a cheap doserless SJ!

Oh, also made a funnel to limit the mess:

Another surprise here: no static ? My previous hand grinder would make a huge static mess if I didn't put a few drops of water with the beans before grinding. Now here, no static screen and no water and absolutely no static. Go figure...

Next up, there needs to be some sort of funnel+screen in the feed opening on top. There is some grounds retention on the flat spots where the hopper normally sits. I'd like to combine this with a screen that prevents jumpers to bolt out of the top opening and that would, and a cleaner way of attaching the air bellows.

To be continued...

Marc

P.S. I now have a brand new doser and hopper. I see that these two parts can be purchased online for a small fortune, but is there a market for this?

jannus

#2: Post by jannus »

Very very cool!!
Did you possibly upload the design to thingiverse or a similar site? If so, please link to it? :)
Thanks!
Jan

Advertisement
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by jwCrema »

grecobene wrote: P.S. I now have a brand new doser and hopper. I see that these two parts can be purchased online for a small fortune, but is there a market for this?
This is the cleanest custom implementation I've ever seen on a Mazzer.

The "competition" is a Mazzer funnel: https://www.espressoparts.com/mazzer-el ... le-version for $300 + shipping.
Espresso Parts also sells this under a special order: https://www.espressoparts.com/mazzer-do ... less-spout
both require a motor cover:
https://www.espressoparts.com/mazzer-su ... king-plate
Or two pieces of really wide black vinyl tape will work for cheap.

The fit of the funnel is precise and easy. The spout option requires drilling and tapping which is kinda nerve wracking on soft aluminum.

For someone who wants to single dose on a Mazzer you'd just have to determine what price you're interested in. I'm not advocating these alternatives, but they are offered to help price your solution.

grecobene (original poster)

#4: Post by grecobene (original poster) »

jannus wrote:Very very cool!!
Did you possibly upload the design to thingiverse or a similar site? If so, please link to it? :)
Thanks!
Jan
Uploading stuff on Thingiverse is not yet a reflex... here you go!
jwCrema wrote:This is the cleanest custom implementation I've ever seen on a Mazzer.
Thank you very much!
jwCrema wrote:For someone who wants to single dose on a Mazzer you'd just have to determine what price you're interested in. I'm not advocating these alternatives, but they are offered to help price your solution.
Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. I meant that now that I have modified my new Mazzer, I am left with both brand new original doser and hopper that I no longer need:

The doser alone sells for $370. Is that something that can break/need replacement in a commercial setting? To the people who modified their SJ to doserless: did you keep your doser or did manage to sell it?

jannus

#5: Post by jannus »

Thanks for the Thingiverse upload! :)
I've not sold a doser but I have had to buy a doser lid and a hopper. The hopper can fall and break, so I'd imagine a fair market. Not so sure if the doser can break, but the early model dosers were aluminium, so stainless would be an attractive alternative in such a case. Also if the entire grinder is dropped or falls over badly, the doser is likely to suffer...
Those are the only cases I can think of where someone might want to buy a doser.
Cheers
Jan

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

At the right price, everything sells here. You should be able to find the offer price in the Buy/Sell forum. I found new homes for the same doser you have years ago through this website, but I can't recall the prices.

cucanunes

#7: Post by cucanunes »

Hi,
Do you have the original 3d sketch?
If yes, can you share it?

Advertisement
jannus

#8: Post by jannus »

Hello
The solidworks files are in the thingiverse upload.
Best regards
Jan

hedengrenchristian

#9: Post by hedengrenchristian »

Well done.

AllenBW

#10: Post by AllenBW »

Gotta ditto the thank you, other solutions that rely on a printed nozzle clog like cray, BUT NOW A METAL PIPE?!? that'll be PERFECT :mrgreen: :D