WiFi endoscope for inspecting boiler for scale

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jyl

#1: Post by jyl »

I decided to drain my Elektra Maxi boiler and have a look inside. It's hard to really inspect the inside of the boiler. Peering into one of the holes doesn't show too much. Umm, it's dark.

A few months ago, on a whim, I bought a WiFi endoscope. You can find these for about $35 on Amazon. Search for "Desptech wireless endoscope". Other than sticking it up my nose when I first received it, I've never used it.

Well, it works pretty well. See below stills from the video.

Flexible cable, several feet long. LED light on camera end. Easy to use. Cheap. Not waterproof as far as I know. But did I say cheap?

Anyway, I see gray stuff coating the wetted boiler surface. It's not shiny and coppery like it was after I restored it. Otherwise, not sure I know all that much more than I did before, but at least I know there's no sea monsters down there.

Should I fill the boiler with something active to deal with the gray stuff, or just drain and refill with fresh water every now and then?

John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

Leave that copper oxide alone as it is what is protecting the copper.

slybarman

#3: Post by slybarman »

I think you need more fiber in your diet. This is the worst looking colonoscopy I've ever seen.

cpro48609

#4: Post by cpro48609 »

I like using misc tools in the coffee arena also lol! We have a Klein Wifi Boroscope that is waterproof so I'll have to try that. I did take a pic of my Profitec Pro 600 with a thermal camera to see how it heats up. Cool stuff! Good thinking on the boroscope!

espressotime

#5: Post by espressotime »

While you're in there check for mice.
People always forget.

jyl (original poster)

#6: Post by jyl (original poster) »

I think I'll try a regular regime of draining and refilling the boiler every couple months. I have very soft water but there were still some gray particles in the boiler water. I'm already in the habit of drawing off a cup or two each day using the hot water tap.

The endoscope is also useful, it turns out, for inspecting the underside and hidden bits of the machine. And for looking closely at the group. And for examining your bald spot, gums and back teeth. Whatever did I do before I had this thing? They also have a model with a built in screen (don't need a smartphone to view image) that is not much more. I'll get that next time.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

AssafL

#7: Post by AssafL »

OldNuc wrote:Leave that copper oxide alone as it is what is protecting the copper.
Are you talking about the OP's nose or boiler?
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

OldNuc

#8: Post by OldNuc »

The boiler copper. :D

slipchuck

#9: Post by slipchuck »

slybarman wrote:I think you need more fiber in your diet. This is the worst looking colonoscopy I've ever seen.
:lol: :lol:
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

jyl wrote:Should I fill the boiler with something active to deal with the gray stuff, or just drain and refill with fresh water every now and then?

I would do a complete Citric Acid flush, 're-scope' it and use that as a 'Baseline' for future reference.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"