When is it necessary to apply thread sealant?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Flitzgordon

Postby Flitzgordon » Sep 14, 2017, 5:02 am

I've some food grade sealant from loxeal and I been trying to do some maintenance on my Brewtus and my neighbor's bezzera BZ10.

What is the cure time and can I test the machine immediately for leaks while it dries up?
I've tried the sealant on a pipe joint as an experiment and it seems like the sealant isn't dry after 24 hours. Is it normal or it is suppose to remain in a gel state?

I've taken apart the pump, the detachable portion of the OPV, and replaced the brew gauge and haven't applied any sealant yet and they don't seem to leak.

I don't see any signs of sealant used either.

bluesman

Postby bluesman » Sep 14, 2017, 11:10 am

Flitzgordon wrote:What is the cure time and can I test the machine immediately for leaks while it dries up? I've tried the sealant on a pipe joint as an experiment and it seems like the sealant isn't dry after 24 hours. Is it normal or it is suppose to remain in a gel state?

If it's Loxeal 18-10 (the one sold by Stefano's), it stays soft forever. Read the instructions re: how long to wait before using the sealed assembly - I don't remember. Some (eg Hylomar) can be used immediately.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Sep 14, 2017, 12:03 pm

Flitz,

What is the specific product number? Loxeal makes a lot of products for sealing, lubricating, etc. I agree with David that you should be able to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Rocky

Flitzgordon

Postby Flitzgordon » Sep 14, 2017, 2:01 pm

Yes, thanks David for pointing out. It's the Loxeal 18-10.

I haven't had any experience with sealant and thought they will harden up. Maybe I mixed up with thread-lockers.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Sep 14, 2017, 4:10 pm

Here are the technical and safety data sheets Loxeal 18-10. It shows the curing time as well as other properties. I don't see anything about it being food safe though.

http://www.loxeal.com/files/1810e.pdf

https://www.krebastore.com/media/userfi ... -18-10.pdf

Rocky

Sponsored by cerinicoffee.com
www.cerinicoffee.com: official US importer for Olympia Express