What espresso machine are you currently restoring.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

Like many I find the more I work with a particular machine the better I get at learning it's idiosyncrasies. Decided to take on another 3rd gen Faemina Faemina. Found a good technique using steel wool and a soft wire brush drill attachment to be an effective way to clean and polish deep within the group and boiler.
Here are some pictures in progress.

Going to have to get creative in order to replace these brittle screw on end caps. They go on the PF, lever and boiler cap.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

Machine them out of Delrin (Acetal) and thread a central hole for the stud to screw into.

redbone (original poster)

#3: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to OldNuc »

Good idea, seems like I'll have to find a local machinist who works with Delrin.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

Any of the small metal lathes will machine it just fine as it is easy to machine without making stringers.

zirtbow

#5: Post by zirtbow »

redbone wrote:Like many I find the more I work with a particular machine the better I get at learning it's idiosyncrasies. Decided to take on another 3rd gen Faemina Faemina. Found a good technique using steel wool and a soft wire brush drill attachment to be an effective way to clean and polish deep within the group and boiler.
Here are some pictures in progress.

<image>
<image>

Going to have to get creative in order to replace these brittle screw on end caps. They go on the PF, lever and boiler cap.

<image>
What wire brush are you using? I was tempted for a brass brush on copper but I'm fearful that might be too aggressive for copper.

#6: Post by redbone (original poster) replying to zirtbow »

The contact with the brass was steel wool. The wire brush was used only to grip the steel wool for use with the drill. I also used a flexible extension on the drill to get deeper into the group.

Reverse side:
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

grog

#7: Post by grog »

I'm starting to dig into the Cimbali M20 two group I posted about last week. The groups are a disaster, but I find the disassembly work satisfying. So far only one broken bolt and it left 1/2" of protruding stud so I'm confident I can get it out with heat and patience.

The small inner springs are fused into the top of the piston head, and I can't determine if the piston rods are salvageable until I get those out. I'll take the group castings, pistons and piston rods to get media blasted once I finally get it all apart.

Luckily the groups are far and away the worst part. The boiler is stainless and although it has a good amount of scale, it's intact. Electricals are solid. Everything else is pretty routine in terms of a rebuild - needs new gaskets and seals throughout and a thorough cleaning. I want to see what I really have with the groups before I spend a bunch of time cleaning the rest.
LMWDP #514

#8: Post by redbone (original poster) »

The 3rd gen Faema Faemina is coming along. Learning some model specific refurbish insights with each F.Faemina.

Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#9: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Leak tested. Machine sporting 3D grill / tray. P.F handle from older series as I need to source 3rd gen handle.

Notice typical Faemina roaring heated water.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#10: Post by redbone (original poster) »

POM / Delrin arrived from Japan.

Just need to find a machinist / lathe skilled person.

This will used to make a P.F. handle, similar in shape to this lever handle.

Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549