Weird noise from EK43s - Should I worry? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
deklol (original poster)

#11: Post by deklol (original poster) »

Hello everyone,

I still doubt it is the centrifugal switch. Here is the noise after disassembling the burr carrier etc. Spinning by hand.
Also, I tried to lube it (as you can see) but it didn't help, nor did it make it worse.

This video was taken few days ago. I did remove the lube I added and assembled it back to normal. It seems like the noise has now faded a little, but it's still there. I don't have a video of that yet.

There is a felt ring (and another metal washer on top, which no blow-chart I have ever seen shows). Perhaps it is the felt ring, that was supposed to be soaked in lubrication, was dried out?

I don't know...

unq

#12: Post by unq »

Just uploaded this:
Is it possible that the centrifugal switch to touch the rotor in any point ?

deklol (original poster)

#13: Post by deklol (original poster) »

unq wrote:Just uploaded this:

Is it possible that the centrifugal switch to touch the rotor in any point ?
Oh my god, that's way worse than mine. Does it sound when you turn it on? Have you contacted Mahlkönig?

unq

#14: Post by unq »

No, the sound appears only at the last 5-6 rotations of the rotor, in the back bearing area (after pressing the off button). I suspect the sound appears when the little brackets from the centrifugal switch are touching the white piece that is retracting when the motor stops. Any idea if the white piece is made from some kind of ceramic material ? That would explain the situation (it cannot be made of plastic because there is a lot of rubbing over there in the process of stopping the rotor. Pictures are taken from the ben's instagram (from page1).

Thanks cafetechnica for the pictures !

unq

#15: Post by unq »

Found some new information about the rotor! It seems they upgraded the white plate system to a new completely redesigned mechanism:

Thanks Mark for the video!

deklol (original poster)

#16: Post by deklol (original poster) »

unq wrote:Found some new information about the rotor! It seems they upgraded the white plate system to a new completely redesigned mechanism:

Thanks Mark for the video!
I don't understand... so it's supposed to sound like that? I hope not lol

unq

#17: Post by unq »

No, it's not supposed to sound like that. Ben from cafetechnica told me that the bearings could be the problem. He recommended to replace them with sealed bearings. I will research that now..

nicholasnumbers

#18: Post by nicholasnumbers »

It doesn't sound like a bearing issue to me. A bad bearing would never be that loud at an RPM low enough to turn by hand unless something was truly bananas.

When I had my EK43s, I never had this issue. I would get the typical centrifugal switch noise at the end but never any metal on metal scrape like this. I wish I could be of more help. Without a teardown you really can't learn much. This sounds like something in the motor itself.

I'd get a swap from the purchase point. If I was a tech doing this job I would estimate at least 2-3 hours of labor to get to the root of this.

Nick

deklol (original poster)

#19: Post by deklol (original poster) »

It really could be this felt ring... my noise has almost completely disappeared after using it and having the felt ring touching the front bearings. How is it going for you?

Thelilcoffeeco

#20: Post by Thelilcoffeeco »

Hi guys, having exact same issue with my EK43s, what did you do to resolve the problem? Thanks