Wega Mini, Astoria Compact tripping GFCI

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
75coupered

#1: Post by 75coupered »

Hello all,
I'm having a difficult time diagnosing the cause of my old single group Astoria Compact, Wega Mini Nova machine tripping the GFCI.

It happens when activating the brew cycle about 30 seconds into the process repeatedly. I have checked for any obvious shorts and cannot find any. I have also checked all the leads on the brew components for a short to ground and can't locate one.

It has a vibe pump, replaced with new about 3 years ago. If I disconnect the pump it still pops the GFCI at about 30 seconds after hitting the brew switch. I disconnected the 2 way valve, still pops. I disconnected the 3 way valve at the brew head and could not replicate the problem mainly due to the fact the pump was not pushing any water thru the brew head with this valve disconnected, so I didn't run it for 30 seconds to see if it pops as the pump struggled in this state and I didn't want to do any damage.

Cannot see any leaks or signs of old leaks on the electrics. It's not the boiler side as I can have the machine on for hours without issue, only on brew cycle. The 2 and 3 way valve coils are Sirai / Parker type ice cube solenoid, look nice and clean, no leaks or body cracks visible, none of the hot leads show continuity to ground. They otherwise work and function normally.

Any ideas? I can't figure what else to test or why this would occur after 30 seconds and not before that on repeated testing, hot or cold.

Thanks in advance

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

75coupered wrote: I disconnected the 3 way valve at the brew head and could not replicate the problem mainly due to the fact the pump was not pushing any water thru the brew head with this valve disconnected, so I didn't run it for 30 seconds to see if it pops as the pump struggled in this state and I didn't want to do any damage.
So long as your OPV works, your pump will continue to flow water through the OPV and shouldn't overheat... I would repeat this test and see if it trips the GFCI at 30 seconds with the 3-way disconnected. The pump and the three-way are the only things that are actuated while brewing but not always actuated, I am strongly suspecting the three-way. I'm betting that if you take it apart you'll see that the valve itself is leaking onto the inside of the coil.

75coupered (original poster)

#3: Post by 75coupered (original poster) »

@JRising
Thanks so much for that tip!
I think your hunch was correct. As I was removing the 3-way I noticed the slight residue of a leak on the backside of the flange mounted to the group head. Seems like 1 of the flange o-rings was leaking steam and condensing down the backside onto the coil, leading to the tripping. The inner surface of the valve did indeed have a rust colored coating as did the upper inside of the coil. It looks to have been slow, and prolong.

I'm cleaning up the parts, have new o-rings and a spare coil on order to get it going again. Will post back once the 3-way is back together and tested.

Thanks again, and if you have this week's lottery numbers...do tell :?:

75coupered (original poster)

#4: Post by 75coupered (original poster) »

Thanks JRising,
Replaced the o rings on the 3 way valve flange and back in business with no more GFCI popping.
Great resource here on this forum.

Happy brewing