Vintage La Pavoni Pub 1v

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
RunningOnFumes

#1: Post by RunningOnFumes »

Hi everyone,

I recently bought what I assume is an older La Pavoni Commercial Pub 1v. It came with a matching Zip grinder. Grinder works perfectly, very sharp burrs. Also a flojet, a motor, and what looks like an additional water catch attachment. I'm brand new to the scene, so you'll just have to bear with me here.

Everything seems to work fine, except I can't get a shot of espresso. Not a single drop. The boiler turns on and heats up fairly quickly. The steam wands/hot water work exceptionally well. The individual buttons aren't programmed yet, but they are all responsive. The motor automatically kicks on when I press any of them. A nice wave of steam is emitted from the group head too. But when I try to draw a shot, the pressure gauge reads low. Only one bar on the top, maybe 5 on the bottom.

I'm new to espresso machines, but I'm mechanically inclined. I've built computers and worked on bicycles and stuff of that nature. I'd like to use this machine on a daily basis, mod it a little, and ensure it has the longest, healthiest life it can possibly have.

So veterans, what should I do from the very start? I'm thinking about spending a couple weekends totally breaking it down and doing a complete restoration, cleaning out the gunk, re greasing, buffing, etc.

And where should I start with trouble shooting the group-head, pump/pressure?

I'll add pictures, and a video soon. The boiler is still heating up.

Advertisement
RunningOnFumes (original poster)

#2: Post by RunningOnFumes (original poster) »

Here's the video showcasing the functionality of the machine, (or lack thereof).

wsfarrell

#3: Post by wsfarrell »

I don't know anything about this machine, but I assume it has a vibratory pump (as opposed to a rotary pump). When not used for a while, these can dry out and develop vapor lock or air lock (not sure what the right term is). When that happens they need to be primed with water, using a turkey baster (or on the small machines I restore, a syringe) to get them started. Here's a relevant link:

Vibe pump on new used Londinium airlocked

If I were you I'd just go ahead and restore the machine, then test/prime the pump as you're putting it back together.

#4: Post by RunningOnFumes (original poster) »

If I were you I'd just go ahead and restore the machine, then test/prime the pump as you're putting it back together.
I was planning on doing this, if not for a fix, just to get an idea of how these things work. I've seen a lot of people doing citric acid baths. But I'm completely ignorant here. What other restorative techniques should I rely on? Should I be oiling joints, applying brasso, wd-40, etc? Stuff I should order or gather around the house like wire-brushes, steel wool, etc?

Someone told me to check the solenoids, and if not, then the brew pump could be shot. A guy in another thread had a similar problem. The correct diagnosis was:

"...you've got a blockage in the pipes somewhere in-between the split point where the refill line breaks off and the hx inlet."

So what would you recommend? Should I start with a complete rebuild right off the bat, or should I start trying to resolve the major issue, and then work my way down to tackling the whole machine?

#5: Post by RunningOnFumes (original poster) »

Also noticed my steam wand stutters:
Does this mean anything?

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Contributors to this thread may want to review Linus' crosspost to avoid needlessly repeating previous suggestions. Linus, before starting your next thread on HB, please review Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? Thanks.
Dan Kehn