Vibe pump - don't fix if it ain't broke?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
salmotrutta

#1: Post by salmotrutta »

Sick of listening to the loud vibe pump in my Zaffiro. Ordered the quick mill pulsor and will look into insulation, but what about replacing the pump itself? Is there any point in replacing if it works- ie would a new/different pump be quieter?

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

The pump that Lelit markets as the Silent Pump would be swap-able with any of the typical Ulka pumps. There is a thread about it:
Lelit MaraX Pump Installed in Mara
from a couple years ago when Randy went ahead and proved it worked.
(It's not really silent, but it is a much quieter pump).

cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

Judicious routing and damping can reduce noise considerably. If you reduce the major nodes, the smaller ones may disappear.

dfuller

#4: Post by dfuller »

Vibration pumps always will be relatively loud just by nature of how they work - they shake whatever they're connected to. You can reduce this by using vibration absorbing mounts and rubber washers on the bolts that attach it to the frame, and with a pulsor. The Olab pump that Lelit uses in their machines is quieter than a standard Ulka, but I've heard of it having issues with premature failures (at least in the Elizabeth).

You will never reduce it to the level of a well isolated rotary pump just by nature of how much they shake in operation.

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

I've been asked several times if my vibe pump is rotary. After the infusion, it's only a little louder but with a different signature.

salmotrutta (original poster)

#6: Post by salmotrutta (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:I've been asked several times if my vibe pump is rotary. After the infusion, it' only a liitle louder but with a different signature.
Put the pulsor in over the weekend. Quieter-- maybe? Rotary--- definitely not.