VBM HX Jr - getting power but will not heat or re-fill boiler??

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
dantep

#1: Post by dantep »

Hello,

I own a VBM HX Jr (manuf. 2012) that is about 10-years old. Over the years things have not worked but I have been pretty successful in figuring why and fixing it, but I am stumped and need some help.

Symptoms - Machine powers on, and will pump water through group head when I flip the brew lever. However machine will not heat the water, or refill boiler. Just happened all of a sudden when I refilled the reservoir tank one day.

What I have checked:
1. Reservoir pressure switch seems to be fine
2. I get continuity (using analogue multi-meter) at the heating element and pressurestat, but no voltage at them when the machine is plugged in
3. Ground wire at the top of the boiler was pretty ugly, so I prepared a replacement wire - no success. I really thought that was it.
4. I opened the CIGAR control unit and all seems fine visually - no fried circuit boards and I was able to detect continuity through the two pin connection that connects to the ground and I believe water probe. But no voltage.
5. I pulled the water level probe, no scale, cleaned with fine grit sand paper - no success
6. None of the pressure breakers on top of boiler are tripped

Could the relay be causing problems? Maybe I am not checking something correctly?

Really appreciate any advice.

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Does the machine have a low water switch?
If that is bad, it won't allow the heater element

Do you have power on both sides of the pressure stat?

Advertisement
stefano65
Sponsor

#3: Post by stefano65 »

If you remove the water level probe and you are not grounding yourself to the boiler/frame etc etc
within few seconds the pump should start running,
if not in the Junior the control box will not power the heating circuit until the level and related circuit is "happy"
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

dantep (original poster)

#4: Post by dantep (original poster) »

Thanks cafeIKE - It does have a low water reservoir switch but it seems to be working as the light/indicator works. While testing it I kept weight on the switch.

I couldn't detect any voltage going to the pressurestat when plugged in, but I did detect some continuity.

dantep (original poster)

#5: Post by dantep (original poster) »

stefano65 wrote:If you remove the water level probe and you are not grounding yourself to the boiler/frame etc etc
within few seconds the pump should start running,
if not in the Junior the control box will not power the heating circuit until the level and related circuit is "happy"
Thanks Stefano - Makes sense and I tried your suggestion. I removed the green grounding wire that connects to the top of the boiler and disconnected the water level probe. I turned on the machine however the pump did not run/auto fill the empty boiler. The pump was operational as I was still able to pump water out of the group head. I replaced the control board about 3 years ago, could it need replacing again? Not sure what else could be causing this.