Using IMS Competition Shower Screen on Breville Dual Boiler 920XL - Page 4

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
babalu120483

#31: Post by babalu120483 »

Hi All,

I recently purchased the Breville BES870XL and was wondering if it uses the same shower screen as the 920?

Thanks!

BaristaBob

#32: Post by BaristaBob » replying to babalu120483 »

The 870XL uses a 54mm portafilter. The 920XL uses a larger 58mm portafilter. So they use different screens.

Hope that helps.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

babalu120483

#33: Post by babalu120483 » replying to BaristaBob »

Thanks!

mianor

#34: Post by mianor »

I was looking for a IMS shower screen on amazon when I found this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P8JYXD5

What do you guys think, is it worth replacing both screens? Or should I just buy the actual shower screen and keep the OEM inner screen?

pcrussell50

#35: Post by pcrussell50 »

I have it. Not sure about it. It increases headspace by about 4mm. That may not be for the better. Also, since the group is aluminum and that amazon inner shower is brass, and the screw that connects them is steel, that presents a corrosion issue. Not insoluble, but will require more maintenance and attention. That said, for the price it's not that much more expensive than the IMS screen by itself.

For corrosion, I used a good coating of food safe silicone on the steel bolt initially. This time around I wrapped the bolt with Teflon plumbers tape. Have not removed it yet for a corrosion inspection.

ETA: I have not used the brass one nearly enough to draw any conclusions. I only have it because I was bored and felt ok spending the money on it for a look-see. I was perfectly fine using the stock phenolic piece with another IMS screen got some time ago.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

lancealot

#36: Post by lancealot »

There is a line of thinking I have heard expressed by someone on here. It goes like this:

The plasticy* piece that Breville uses is superior to the brass one. That is because the plastic has a lower thermal mass than the brass. As such, it does not rob the brew water of heat. This leads to greater temperature stability and accuracy than what you might have with a brass piece. Just a thought.

I have personally decided not to use the brass one.

*it is probably not "plastic" it is probably some kind of high temp engineered polymer.

mianor

#37: Post by mianor »

Thanks! Ended up ordering the IMS shower screen without the brass part.

espressotyro

#38: Post by espressotyro »

Hi,

I'm trying to use the IMS CI200 NT with an Oracle Touch. I understand it is the same group head as used on the 920XL.

However, when I screw the IMS screen into the group head, it makes a click sound and inverts so it is no longer convex but becomes concave; by this I mean that it is like an umbrella that turns inside out in the wind.

From the pictures in this thread, it looks like that isn't happening to others. Is there some secret to keeping the screen from doing that?

Thanks,
Richard M

pcrussell50

#39: Post by pcrussell50 »

Is your shower dispersion disc upside down perchance? If not, you might try putting an o-ring under the IMS, a close fit to the screw. That way the screw will not be able to drive the IMS screen down far enough to do an umbrella blowout. Never tried this. Just thinking out loud.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

espressotyro

#40: Post by espressotyro »

Thanks Peter,

What happens is that as the screen is screwed in, at some point it will make a clicking sound and invert. Then it looks concave as you look up at it. Oddly, when I take the screen out and hold it, if I push in the middle it will snap from concave to convex (or the other way around) and stay whichever way it ends up. If I do the same thing with the Breville screen, it won't invert.

I first tried screwing it in until the screen just wouldn't turn with finger pressure; the screen seemed to change to convex when the pressure released after pulling a shot. I tried an o-ring and that seemed to mostly work but the screw stuck down and wasn't flush with the screen.

Since people here seemed to be successful just screwing it in, I was wondering if that was true or if there is a trick (like an o-ring).

(Note: I got it from Espresso Plus. Their view is that Breville isn't on the certified list of machines it will work with, so it isn't their problem. It seems to me that if it doesn't do this inversion trick for others, it isn't right.)

Thanks,
Richard M