Using IMS Competition Shower Screen on Breville Dual Boiler 920XL - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BaristaBob

#21: Post by BaristaBob » Dec 11, 2018, 4:18 pm

Hi All,

This is a follow-up to my IMS competition shower screen posts.

Yesterday I received the latest version of the IMS shower screen...this one is nanotech coated. The serial number is: CI200 NT. This now replaces the non-coated version IMS CI200 IM. Before and after installation I ran a water debit to see if there were any changes in the flow rate. Here are the quick results with a very small sample size.

IMS Competition Screen (uncoated)
After 30 seconds (15s preinf. + 15s full pump) --- 166.0g +/- 2.0g (332g/min.)

n = 3 test per screen

IMS Competition Screen (nanotech coated)
After 30 seconds (15s preinf. + 15s full pump) --- 162.3g +/- 1.5g (325g/min.)

n = 3 test per screen

Water debit is statistical different, though, I think if my sample size was larger there would be virtually no difference between the two screens. However, the visual change in the water flowing down from the screens was dramatically different. The uncoated screen produces water droplets that are quite large. The nanotech coated screen produces a more uniform shower of tiny water droplets...almost mesmerizing in nature. Now to see what effect, if any, this will have on the coffee puck inside the basket. More to come later in the week. 8)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

lancealot

#22: Post by lancealot » Dec 12, 2018, 11:48 am

Where did you source the nano coated one?

pcrussell50

#23: Post by pcrussell50 » replying to lancealot » Dec 12, 2018, 12:10 pm

I've had the nano coated one since June. I got it off eBay. It was the same price as the un coated version.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

BaristaBob

#24: Post by BaristaBob » Dec 16, 2018, 12:32 am

lancealot wrote:Where did you source the nano coated one?
Actually used Peter's link to the one seller on eBay. The nanocoated screens are harder to find, but worth having IMO. It appears to disperse the water droplets in a finer pattern.

lancealot

#25: Post by lancealot » Dec 17, 2018, 9:56 pm

Question about how hard you guys tighten these down. I bought one of these for funzies when EPNW had their 45% off parts sale.

Mine has a bit of a concavity / convexity to it, just like the stock one does. When you tighten it down, do you tighten it till the screw stops turning or do you tighten it less and try to preserve the natural bend in the screen?

Thanks.

DaveB
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by DaveB » Dec 18, 2018, 2:13 pm

When I removed the stock screen, I was surprised how easily the screw came out. With that in mind, when I installed the new screen I tightened till it was just snug but no more - for fear of distorting the screen or stripping the threads. Good enough!
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

BaristaBob

#27: Post by BaristaBob » Dec 18, 2018, 2:26 pm

lancealot wrote:Question about how hard you guys tighten these down. I bought one of these for funzies when EPNW had their 45% off parts sale.

Mine has a bit of a concavity / convexity to it, just like the stock one does. When you tighten it down, do you tighten it till the screw stops turning or do you tighten it less and try to preserve the natural bend in the screen?

Thanks.
Hi Chris,

Great question...I always ponder this when I tighten the screw. Just as Dave said, from the factory that screw it not very tight. FWIW, I snug it down until I feel "some" resistance. I'll check it after a couple of days to make sure it's not backing out since the vibe pump surely could cause that to happen. Been fine up to this point.

pcrussell50

#28: Post by pcrussell50 » Dec 18, 2018, 2:29 pm

Bob sez "Been fine up to this point"

This has been my experience too. I've had mine off once for cleaning and inspection, since I got it in June this year. Additionally, I've checked it for tightness once, and never looked back. I think I did what Bob did, and tightened it until I felt resistance and it "felt right". Maybe I'll check it again tomorrow morning when I get home from a trip?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

lancealot

#29: Post by lancealot » Dec 18, 2018, 5:26 pm

Thanks all, I barely tighten my stock screen. Since the stock screen is a little stiffer, I think it is easier to feel when it is tight enough but not too tight. With the ims, I found it a little more difficult to tell. I went with just tight enough to keep it all together and all is well.

Another observation. My pucks seem soupier. Not that I care.

pcrussell50

#30: Post by pcrussell50 » Dec 18, 2018, 5:52 pm

lancealot wrote:Another observation. My pucks seem soupier. Not that I care.
Interesting observation. I too, care so little that I didn't really notice it. But now that you mention it, mine might be a little soupier than they used to be, too. But I've been diddling with one form or another of flow profiling for about the last year as well, so I was wondering if that might have been it as well.

-Peter
LMWDP #553