Using IMS Competition Shower Screen on Breville Dual Boiler 920XL - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
kenyabob

Postby kenyabob » Sep 14, 2018, 8:54 am

Do you ever take this dispersion screen down and clean it? I did check, and this seems to be one of the few parts available on ereplacementparts, though the price is six dollars now. If yours has lasted two years, maybe Ill buy two just in case.

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » replying to kenyabob » Sep 14, 2018, 9:29 am

Hi Andy,
The answer to your question is yes...once a month I unscrew the dispersion screen and the black plastic dispersion block, even the white pf gasket to clean. That's when I noticed the cracks developing around the holes. So monthly, I can examine the cracks and change out the block if necessary. Though I do have my spare, I'm 2+ years in and have not changed it out...yet.

Also Breville.com use to and maybe still does sell this part under espresso parts from their online store. Hope that helps.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."

kenyabob

Postby kenyabob » Sep 14, 2018, 10:18 am

Thats an awesome tip! Looks like that part is not available on there, but still a good resource to know about!

clc12rock

Postby clc12rock » Nov 06, 2018, 4:14 pm

Thanks! I might buy one of these screens. Do you know if any of IMS's baskets fit in the BDB bottomless portafilter?

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » replying to clc12rock » Nov 07, 2018, 3:14 pm

Can't say for sure, but the Breville portafilter is the commercial standard, 58mm diameter. VST 58mm baskets fit it fine. As do the portafilter baskets from espressoparts.com. I would advise using ridgeless. Me? I have VST and Breville baskets. They both "handle" differently. I find that between those two, I have all the capability I need. If I wear out the otherwise excellent Breville baskets, I'll look at IMS.

FWIW, Bob and I got our IMS screens about the same time. Perfectly happy with mine. I'm just not sure if it's any better than the stock one. It looks cooler. And has more coolness cred. So I use it.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

romaen

Postby romaen » Dec 10, 2018, 12:45 pm

Hello, thanks for sharing your experience! If have got some questions if you don't mind.
Thanks! :)

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » replying to romaen » Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 pm

I have been using the nano coated one since June. I am noticing no difference in the cup taste. It does make a cooler looking raindrop pattern when you run water through it without a portafilter. Plus, since it's "precision", it gives you a feeling of satisfaction that you have something precise.

As to mods to the machine. It's already supremely capable as is, right up to the point of being almost but not quite a Slayer-type flow profiler if you want to use it that way. If that's not enough, a very simple and reversible modification can turn it into a full blown, Bianca-like flow profiler, where the whole shot runs through the factory needle valve. And if for some reason even that is not enough, you can experiment with different needle valves. Read this thread:
Breville Dual Boiler "Slayer shots"?

Discussion of the actual mod begins on post #161

-Peter
LMWDP #553

romaen

Postby romaen » Dec 10, 2018, 3:11 pm

Thank you once again Peter, you are alway a great help!

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Dec 10, 2018, 3:30 pm

romaen wrote:Hello, thanks for sharing your experience! If have got some questions if you don't mind.
Thanks! :)

Hi Roman,

I have been using the CI200IM screen for about the same amount of time as Peter. The "raindrop" pattern seems to cause less surface disruption of the puck than the Breville screen. My feeling is this prevents less of a chance for channeling...a good reason to switch.
I have ordered the nanocoated screen and will compare the two for cleanliness once it arrives, but since they cost about the same amount, I'd opt for the nanocoated version.

Take care!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Dec 10, 2018, 3:34 pm

Then I should add only that so far, my nano coated screen has not flaked or failed in any way, so that's good news. It might pay to search around here at HB. There might have been a thread where failure of the nano coating came up. But as I said, six months in, and mine has not failed.

-Peter
LMWDP #553