Updated stepless Rancilio Rocky grinder

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Rist

#1: Post by Rist »

While searching for a way to make my rocky stepless I ran across an old post from snoboy on this forum. I decided to use his idea but refined it. If anyone is interested in the mods I made I can describe them in detail.

mckolit

#2: Post by mckolit »

I vote for you posting the mod. Rocky owners will thank you.

Advertisement
Rist (original poster)

#3: Post by Rist (original poster) »

Here is my solution to eliminate grinder retention.

mckolit

#4: Post by mckolit »

Nice. How many turns on the bolt for each step? Do you cover up the hole in the spout while grinding?

Rist (original poster)

#5: Post by Rist (original poster) »

The threads on the worm screw are 8 per inch. One full turn on the screw moves one complete notch. The hole in the spout does not cause any grinds to come out however I have only used the grinder for espresso.

Rist (original poster)

#6: Post by Rist (original poster) »

A clarification on my fine tuning of snoboy's stepless mod:

1. The (bolt) is actually a 5/16" 304 stainless rod with threads cut to match the profile on a hose clamp screw. The threads on a 1/4" lag bolt do not match the pitch or the profile on a hose clamp screw. It is also helpful to cut a slight grove in the hopper under the slots in the hose clamp band so the worm screw's threads clear the hopper.
2. The hose clamp screw was removed by welding the band's ends together resulting in a cleaner installation.
3. The worm screw is threaded to #10x24 on the end. This allows removal of the worm gear rod to revert to stepped grinding.
4. All components of the mod are polished 304 stainless steel.
5. There is a small step lock retainer to allow for adjustment without holding down the step lock, it is easily removed to to allow stepped grinding.

I think snoboy had a great idea for making the Rocky stepless.