Upcycle Linea

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
perfectwheels

#1: Post by perfectwheels »

I had mentioned in the upcycle lever thread Upcycle Lever Project that it was a practice run of sorts for a Linea machine... So, here is an update on that project.

A Box of Parts:

Actually several boxes.

Needless to say, a little overwhelming. I was definitely feeling some buyers remorse at this point.

I spent a few hours doing a partial assembly on the original frame and started to get a handle on what was what.

Still no idea what in the heck I was going to do with it but at least I was able to figure out the plumbing and determine there was most of a machine on hand. So, that was when the lever project was begun and a plan for the Linea was put into the back-brain for a slow simmer.

perfectwheels (original poster)

#2: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

Building the base:

I've been working on this for about a month and didn't take very detailed pictures but here is an overview.

I'm going with a very similar look to the lever but am looking to refine the design and pay better attention to build details.

One major difference is that the surround is bolted to the base. This eliminated some welding, allows two colors of powder coat and will make servicing the machine easier.

At this point I was ready to start working on the plumbing and wiring.

#3: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

Plumbing:

Line-in plumbing with auto-fill solenoid for the steam boiler.

Most of the brew boiler plumbing in place.

I was on the fence on whether to use a sight glass but decided to go with one in the end. You can see the solenoid pressure relief and brew boiler drains coming through the frame as well.

Drip tray.

The rest will have to be done as more of the case is built.

#4: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

Case work:

Once again starting with a cardboard mock-up.

The last case was bordering on too small, so I made sure to leave more room.

Looking familiar?

Starting with the corners.

Framework tacked and ready for welding.

I wanted to clean up the overall look by reducing the amount of visible welds, so all of the outside corners are ground and then sanded.

We are still going to see the welds around the panel frames.

Here is a view showing the drain system. Since the drip tray isn't stock, it had to be plumbed into the drain box separately.

Finishing framework around the top of the case.

Sanded.

Anyway, that pretty much gets things up to date.

Clint Orchuk

#5: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Absolutely wild work! Awesome job

guijan12

#6: Post by guijan12 »

Wow, nice job! :P
Regards,

Guido

#7: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

Thanks for kudos!

Today saw the splash guard finished with a tricky bit of bracket building. I think it will be one of the only parts used from the original surround.

Some modeling for the control panel.

Devin H

#8: Post by Devin H »

Awesome work! Will definitely be following your build. Looks like fun!

Chert

#9: Post by Chert »

I did not realize these machines have a sightglass. Such a different design to the more common narrow glass tube style.

IIRC from the [FS] listing, there was no control box with this collection of parts. I am curious what you will do about controlling the machine. With boiler autofill, each group could be manual. Is that correct? Inboard or outboard motor and pump?
LMWDP #198

#10: Post by perfectwheels (original poster) »

Well, was able to refashion some more original parts. These are from the drip tray.