Ulka vibe pump repair & fix - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ira

Postby ira » May 15, 2019, 10:24 pm

You should consider doing that someday with higher temperature wire, espresso machines are hot and that looks like lamp cord. I would put a second layer of heat shrink all the way across the diode and over the red heatshrink just to strength the solid wire. But I tend to be over cautious at this stuff.

Ira

Radio.YYZ

Postby Radio.YYZ » replying to ira » May 15, 2019, 10:33 pm

It looks like lamp cord but its actually heat resistant wire i forget what the application was but it can sustain heat and i wanted a gauge of wire that was not too thick so this is all i found. Good idea to heat shrink the whole thing, i have some thicker tube as well ill have to get in cut it up and slide it on again, maybe i will give it a month to see how everything is.

Thanks for all the pointers, a very simple solution to further increase the life of the pump, next if it fails it will probably be because of the ball getting chewed up inside the pump or a spring failure etc. I am not sure why they don't put the diode outboard, they can easily put it inside the casing where the thermal sensor is.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

ira

Postby ira » May 15, 2019, 10:34 pm

Glad I could help and glad it worked.

Ira

Nunas

Postby Nunas » May 17, 2019, 11:47 am

Good discussion. I want to add for the non-techies, that this repair techniques does not always work. Diodes can fail open or shorted. If they fail open (you'll see no continuity with your ohmeter), adding a diode won't work. You need to see the same resistance (more or less) when measured in both directions on the coil (which is what the OP reported), which indicates that the diode has failed shorted and the resistance being seen is substantially just the coil. All this said, I would not bother. A failed diode is a failed link in a circuit. It isn't the equivalent of a wire of appropriate gauge for the current being drawn. For the small cost of these pumps I recommend simply replacing them.

Radio.YYZ

Postby Radio.YYZ » replying to Nunas » May 18, 2019, 2:47 am

Good point, will add it to main post for future searchers.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine