ULKA pumps parts sourcing (mushroom check valve)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
L1feisfun

#1: Post by L1feisfun »

Hi folks!
Did anyone find source where to purchase the black rubber mushroom check valve for ULKA pumps?
You can find these on fleebay as part of repair kit, but prices are ridiculous, you may as well get new pump.
Thanks

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

L1feisfun wrote: you may as well get new pump.
I would agree.

Advertisement
L1feisfun (original poster)

#3: Post by L1feisfun (original poster) »

There must be source where to get these for close to nothing same as those orings and balls.
I searched Aliexpress where you find all the other stuff, but no luck in finding the same shape.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

They're not worth rebuilding, IMO.

L1feisfun (original poster)

#5: Post by L1feisfun (original poster) »

The garbage piles in BC are not big enough for you to bother you yet?
It will cost you $2 to fix it so why to create more garbage and spend $30?
Even just getting brand new core is way cheaper $20

Marc-NL

#6: Post by Marc-NL replying to L1feisfun »

Hi, I could help you with these rubber (mushroom) valves.
I don't know if it's allowed or if I'm doing something wrong or against the forum rules but I came across your message by chance. And because it wasn't that old, I wanted to respond to help. To be clear, I'm not a company and I don't want to advertise or spam, but I repair coffee machines as a hobby. Also because I (just like you) think that you can easily repair a pump (or coffee machine) instead of throwing it away.

The only thing is I'm in The Netherlands but if you want to try to work something out you can mail me at marc.schiedamATgmail.com.

@ the moderator if this is not allowed you can delete this post.

cafeIKE

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

L1feisfun wrote:The garbage piles in BC are not big enough for you to bother you yet?
BC is mostly empty space, there's plenty of room for more garbage. I know, I was born there... :P

Regarding the pump, I agree with Nunas.

If a pump is giving problems, then look at electrical connections or overheating from location or over use as in running it in excess of the duty cycle.

Pumps, on a properly maintained machine, last a very long time. I replaced the one in my 2006 Vibiemme HX when I sold it in 2021. Not because there was anything wrong with it, but because I didn't want the new owner to have any issues. In my 2008 Vibiemme DB after 12 years when I did a complete rebuild. In a pal's 2006 Vibiemme HX after 15 years because he was selling it as well.

AND I still use a 20 year old pump when servicing to empty out the boilers.

Most pump issues are not due to internal components, but crud from insufficient filtering. The plastic air bleeds also cause issues. Never had a brass one fail. Be sure the air bleed points up.

Advertisement
coyote-1

#8: Post by coyote-1 »

I just replaced one, a plastic stem because I accidentally stripped the threads. Wanted to replace just the stem, but a whole new pump with brass stem was $19 shipped. And frankly I'm glad of it now. The old one still worked, but the new one is smoother and quieter. The machine should be good now for another decade or more.

I do agree with the desire to replace fewer components. It's just not feasible in so many instances.

Marc-NL

#9: Post by Marc-NL »

I don't agree that it's always better to replace the pump. I even repaired new pumps where the rubber valve was stuck again and again due to deformation of the rubber. Whether you buy a new pump also depends on how old the pump is. But it is often a chain reaction when you have to buy a new pump. The question then, is your coffee machine still worth it. Because sometimes such a pump is in a machine that does not cost much. For example, it may be that an entire coffee machine is thrown away because of a part of a couple of bucks. So I think it's everyone's own decision whether you want to repair or replace the pump.

The overhaul set in the photo of TS is for an Ulka model E type 5 and these parts certainly wear out. And, for example, a worn O-ring can cause more damage to the pump. So there is certainly a risk that, if you do not repair a pump, you throw away a pump that can last a long time with cheap new parts. Anyway, I repaired pumps that still work well after years. But again, I think it's everyone's own decision.

Cheers, Marc.

WWWired

#10: Post by WWWired »

Hi all :) Great post that shows that both refurbishing and just replacing pumps are great approaches. I imagine these replaced pumps are a great source of spare parts and may even be sold by those who just prefer to replace the pump.

Pumps are good for a solid 5000 extractions (and often many more when used within specifications/duty-cycles etc.) according to the great experience and posts of many of the experts on HB. Regular maintenance of any machine is worth including a pump in consideration and assessment.

Home-Barista has a great bunch of folks, including folks like Mark-NL who will have some parts to share. There is a section called "RESOURCES" here on HB that has some super vendors that sponsor the site. Click Here to see a list of Equipment sponsors where search for "mushroom" can be done :)

I did a quick search on one of the Sponsors websites, Stefano's and he sells many types of these rubber mushroom check valve components . . . be sure to get the right one . . . here's a link to Stefano's and just enter "mushroom" in the search field . . .

https://www.espressocare.com/search?keywords=mushroom