Ulka pump seems to mute during brewing - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
AndersHP (original poster)

#11: Post by AndersHP (original poster) »

Okay, opened this bad boy up. Nothing looks clogged or broken..

Is it the rubber part of the bottom side of the brass seat? It seems okay, maybe not that soft... ?
Sorry these photos are huge, I cannot easily edit them smaller.

I'm not sure I can find this little rubber seat in Denmark though...

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#12: Post by cafeIKE »

The OPV seal looks a little suspect and just it can be replaced if you can find one.
If not, you might as well replace the OPV.

GC7
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by GC7 »

That expansion valve seat looks to me like it needs replacement regardless of your pump status.

If you can't find a parts dealer in Denmark or nearby let me know. I believe I still have a couple from the old QM Anita that don't fit my new machine that uses a mushroom type seat. I'll look around, try to locate them, and mail them to you.

#14: Post by AndersHP (original poster) » replying to GC7 »

I would like to just change the seal. I cannot change the OPV, it's massively tight, a bit afraid of damaging the pipes.
Are you sure they generally are the same on all machines? The one you linked to seems to fit a number of machines, but Izzo/Vivi is not mentioned.
I found another one that should work with Izzo/Vivi but still no danish provider.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/ex ... ement-seat
https://greatinfusions.com/expansion-valve-seat-gasket/

#15: Post by AndersHP (original poster) »

GC7 wrote:That expansion valve seat looks to me like it needs replacement regardless of your pump status.

If you can't find a parts dealer in Denmark or nearby let me know. I believe I still have a couple from the old QM Anita that don't fit my new machine that uses a mushroom type seat. I'll look around, try to locate them, and mail them to you.
Also; that's very kind! Thanks!
If you are sure they fit my OPV, I would be glad to pay you for a couple of these seals!

JohanR

#16: Post by JohanR »

I looked at kaffecompagniet in Stockholm and they seem to have the part you are looking for
https://www.kaffecompagniet.se/packning ... x10-102598
If you ask them I think they can send it to you in a normal envelope to reduce the shipping cost.
Johan

#17: Post by AndersHP (original poster) »

Okay, hold your horses, I may have found a solution from a danish supplier.
Thanks so far for all the great answers and good spirit in here! :D :D

GC7
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by GC7 »

AndersHP wrote:Also; that's very kind! Thanks!
If you are sure they fit my OPV, I would be glad to pay you for a couple of these seals!
I am not certain the part I linked (and the ones I believe I have somewhere in storage) is correct for your machine. Many of the E61's have interchangeable units.

Check the one in Sweden. If you need to try the one I have please let me know. I don't want money for them should you need it but thank you for the offer and the kind words. They are more than enough payment.

#19: Post by AndersHP (original poster) »

Okay, just mounted the new Ulka pump - so far so good.
I'm currently waiting for the OPV rubber seal.

Is it correct, that the OPV is actually the place to adjust the brew pressure? The farther screwed down the top part is, the more pressure?
This variable needs to be checked as well when everything is put back together again. Thinking about mounting a pressure gauge onto my blindfilter PF and adjusting the OPV until this shows 9 bar while backflushing - yes?

sambuist

#20: Post by sambuist »

yes. that is the general idea, screw it in and out to change the OPV pressure setting. if you put a gauge on your portafilter then set it to 9bar to start with. use it for a week and then set it to 8 bar and use it for another week (use the same beans). you might like the taste more a a slightly lower (or higher ) pressure setting with your style.