Trying to Revive a Gaggia New Baby

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Ves Paul

#1: Post by Ves Paul »

I recently pulled the machine out of storage. I followed this video from WLL (How To Clean and Rebuild a Gaggia Aluminum Boiler) to try to get it to come back to life. It sounds like I remember (though it does seem to have a new click sound in the mix), but I'm not getting any water to the boiler, I don't think.
I'm wondering if there is something more to clean/descale/check that I don't know about. Any troubleshooting advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated. :D

lamb23

#2: Post by lamb23 »

So is water not coming out of the group head when you press the brew button? Does water come out of the steam wand?

Ves Paul (original poster)

#3: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

Nope. I tried both.

lamb23

#4: Post by lamb23 »

I think this might be a pump problem, I'm rewatching the video it does sound more like rattling than a normal pump... I'd try to follow the instructions here (specifically how to force prime the pump but Id look through that entire article to confirm that's what it needs, and if that's for this model): https://support.wholelattelove.com/hc/e ... g-the-Pump

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

+1

Yup, it's probably a 'dry lock' pump.

https://support.wholelattelove.com/hc/e ... orce-Prime
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#6: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

Brilliant! Thank you, guys for this suggestion. I will attempt and follow up.

#7: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

SO... on my New Baby, is the "in" hose this black one that is coming out of the hole that leads from the tank and feeds into the boiler?

#8: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

Freakin A! She's working, guys! FIgured out that the hose pictured above is NOT the send hose but some type of overflow? Found the correct hose by removing the base and it's housing, followed the steps and it's getting water through both now. Got her back together, but am going to descale first, then try a pull. Huge thanks!

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to Ves Paul »

That's great - Enjoy!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#10: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

Ok so a steamer tube burst while trying to pull a shot and I had to go in and fix that. I replaced every hose clamp where there was one. Back in business and dialing in grind when... I find a good setting that gets me a 25 sec pull from a 16g basket. Actually had a bit of a crema even though the beans are sh**. Problem was there was water dripping pretty heavily after 10 secs all around the group. Checked the gasket and it shriveled and crusty. That's the culprit right? Anyway I got a new one and it's a bit too large to seat correctly.

Can someone point me in the direction of a ring that will definitely fit this Gaggia new baby? April 2014 build date.