Trying to restore my La Spaziale Professonale

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Mike1

#1: Post by Mike1 »

I an new here. I know nothing about espresso machines never mind how to fix one. So, please be patient with me. :?

I have a La Spaziale Professonale which I would like to bring to working order. This is a very old and discontinued model. I think the heating element has to be replaced so I ordered one from Cafe Parts:
http://www.cafeparts.com/Espresso-Machi ... ssional-S1

The problem is that I realized too late that since I am in North America, I need to buy the 110V parts, not the 230V. The heating element from Cafe Parts is La Spaziale part number #806 which is for a 230V heating element. According to the La Spaziale parts catalog which I found on the San Marco Coffee website, the part number I need is #1949, which is for a 110V heating element.

I can't seem to find this 110V heating element anywhere. Can you help me find one or can I still use the 230V heating element?

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by jwCrema »

Chris Coffee in will get you anything that you need for your La Spaziale https://www.chriscoffee.com

kolu

#3: Post by kolu »

don't forget to buy a new gasket as well...

Mike1 (original poster)

#4: Post by Mike1 (original poster) »

jwCrema wrote:Chris Coffee in will get you anything that you need for your La Spaziale https://www.chriscoffee.com
Thank you! I sent him a message. I hope he can get me the part. I would like to have the machine working again. It was my father's favourite thing. He loved and used it beyond recognition.
kolu wrote:don't forget to buy a new gasket as well...
Are you referring to Viton O-Ring R9 from this site? http://www.cafeparts.com/Espresso-Machi ... ssional-S1

If yes, I will have to buy two, right?

So, I really have to get the 110V heating element and discard the 230V I bought? It seems a waste of money.

fitero

#5: Post by fitero »

Yep, 2each of the #8 (R9)

Basically, any time that you break into your machine, it is a good idea to change all of the o-rings and seals involved. It usually takes quite some time to get to the guts of the machine, so by quickly changing these parts you are doing preventative maintenance and will end up saving time and money in the future.
You are bringing this machine back to tip-top shape right? Disassembling, cleaning, de-scaling everything in a citric acid bath etc. before re-assembly would be my recommendation.

Oh, and of course my recommendation to tear into your machine is only valid if you are handy with tools and are comfortable with steam fittings and electrical components.

You can try to sell the extra heating element on Ebay to recoup some of your expenses. You might get somebody in Europe to buy it....

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

I converted an Olympia Express Club from 220V to 110V. You'll need to look at every electrical component in the machine to verify what its rated voltage is.

In reviewing the diagram you posted and I noticed the 3-way Solenoid Valve Parker rated voltage is 230v 50/60hz. Also, the Single-phase Thermostat Tr2 25-130°c needs to be looked at. I believe there may be other electric parts not listed on the diagram.

My final suggestion is to make no assumptions about any of this. In my particular conversion I found parts that were rated for use in 110v or 220v, so no replacement was needed. But the key thing was I knew exactly what each part was rated for.

When the conversion work is thoroughly researched and completed you'll partake in a special joy. It is a great feeling to flip the switch on for the first time and have no drama or theatrics ensue.

Mike1 (original poster)

#7: Post by Mike1 (original poster) »

jwCrema wrote:I converted an Olympia Express Club from 220V to 110V. You'll need to look at every electrical component in the machine to verify what its rated voltage is.

In reviewing the diagram you posted and I noticed the 3-way Solenoid Valve Parker rated voltage is 230v 50/60hz. Also, the Single-phase Thermostat Tr2 25-130°c needs to be looked at. I believe there may be other electric parts not listed on the diagram.
Could you elaborate more on what I am supposed to look for in the thermostat? According to the catalog of La Spaciale parts, there is only one type of thermostat to buy. There is no 110V or 230V thermostat. The catalog just says "termostato professionale" for part number #809.

The solenoid that is in the machine has nothing written on it. Maybe there was a sticker and it fell off? So, I should replace it with a 110V one just to be safe. I can't tell if the electrical components are rated for the proper voltage since nothing is written also so I should replace as many of them as possible, too.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by jwCrema »

I took the picture of the thermostat from the diagram, rotated it 180 degrees to attempt to read what is in the red box. I can't read what it says.

I notice the mount points on the thermostat and it's possible you may not be able to see the CE marked area with the thing attached to your machine. You're looking for the CE marking on each electrical part. It's been required since 1973.

I find giving advice on this topic a bit scary. It would be a good idea to talk to someone who knows this machine with all of your research findings to see if anything was overlooked, etc. I just needed to say that since I don't know to what extent you're experienced with electrical stuff.

Mike1 (original poster)

#9: Post by Mike1 (original poster) »

jwCrema wrote:I took the picture of the thermostat from the diagram, rotated it 180 degrees to attempt to read what is in the red box. I can't read what it says.

<image>

I notice the mount points on the thermostat and it's possible you may not be able to see the CE marked area with the thing attached to your machine. You're looking for the CE marking on each electrical part. It's been required since 1973.

I find giving advice on this topic a bit scary. It would be a good idea to talk to someone who knows this machine with all of your research findings to see if anything was overlooked, etc. I just needed to say that since I don't know to what extent you're experienced with electrical stuff.
Thanks for your help.

I think I am going to replace every component: the thermostat, the vibrating pump, the solenoid and the electrical wires. I will be referring to the La Spaziale Professionale parts catalog that is from San Marco Coffee. So, I think it should be fine for a beginner like me because all the parts are from the La Spaziale Professionale catalog.

I still haven't received a response from Chris's Coffee for 3 days. Is this normal?

CoffeeBeetle

#10: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong here, but the system used in North America is 110V right? Maybe i'm reading things wrong here but it sounds like you are about to replace every element in your machine so it can handle 230v, thereby converting it completely.
That would make the machine suitable for a 230v connection like one would find in Europe, but if you plan on using this machine in North America wouldn't you then also need a transformer to make the 110v from the outlet into 230v?