Trying to restore my La Spaziale Professonale - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ira
Team HB

#21: Post by ira »

If the heater installs by threading into a hole, you just need to find one with the same threads, wattage and length. Wattage and length are flexible within limits. That dramatically widens your search criteria. Stop try to find it using La Spaziale or the part number and see if you can find something close enough. If I had it in my hand, I'd drive over to my friendly espresso parts wholesaler and compare it to the large selection of elements hanging on the far wall. Also, you might also try a large wholesale plumbing supply and tell them it's from an old electric water heater, maybe you'll get lucky.

The connectors, 438 are standard parts and the wiring harness, 831, would be easy to replicate if you have a sample to work from. Make sure to use bigger wire than stock as a 110V machines pulls twice the current that a 220V machine does and the original wire might be under rated for 117.

Ira

Mike1 (original poster)

#22: Post by Mike1 (original poster) »

bengee wrote:Hello Antonio,

Chipping in from Rimouski, Québec. I used to live in Montréal too.
Hi!

I love Montreal but it is so frustratating lately. I would like to move out. There is dubious and unnecessary construction everywhere, no parking allowed here and there for dubious reasons. It is nearly impossible to move around Montreal by car without going through heavy traffic.
bengee wrote:
For starters, you should KNOW your heating element needs to be replaced before you order a new one. There are several thread here that will allow you to confirm if its actually broken with a simple multimeter test.

You have not confirmed whether the machine actually ran on (wired for) 110 or 220V? (I am NOT assuming you are attempting to actually convert the machine, am i right?)
I know it needed to be replaced. When I replaced it with the 230V heating element (this was before I realized that there is a 110V one I had to buy since I live in North America) it heated for only a few seconds at a time. So, it must run on a 110V heating element.
bengee wrote:Another avenue I would consider is to bring it in to one of the several shops around little italy that specialize is espresso machine repair and restoration and ask for advice/quote.

For parts, Espresso Mali (on St-Laurent I believe) might be able to help. I've also had great service from these guys in California: https://nuovaricambi.com/
Thank you for the tips. Right now, by some miracle I found this

https://www.eevad.com/en/heater-element ... 14019.html

I just ordered it a few days ago. The website says it might take 1-2 weeks. But I am not getting my hopes up after getting burned. For starters, they could say that it is no longer available. Or if it is available and being shipped to me, it could turn out to not be as advertised. Only when I get it and is an actual 110V heating element will I jump for joy and scream my lungs out. :)

If it is not a 110V heating element, I will try out Espresso Mali.

Mike1 (original poster)

#23: Post by Mike1 (original poster) »

bengee wrote:Here are some pictures of the innards of a European La Spaziale Professonale:
https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/la-s ... le.108939/
Is that what yours looks like?

I'm trying to figure out the technology. I've read the Professonale was some kind of hybrid double boiler. Its possibly some form of heat exchange system? I cannot tell how get a different temperature for steaming and brewing. Regardless, that looks like a really small boiler.

I understand this machine has a lot of sentimental value. But is it worth it. You might end up paying a grand or more in parts and labor. Will the espresso you get out of it be worth the effort?
Yes! Mine is EXACTLY like in the pictures you provided right down to the wires and connectors. EXCEPT for the vibratory pump. The vibratory pump in the pictures look new and more powerful.

I am using your pictures as references since mine is so beat up after decades of use.

It is worth it to me because my father passed away in February. This is the machine he loved so much. It hasn't been used in years and I am trying to get it working. My biggest regret was not spending more time with dad. That machine could have a great way for a deeper father-son relationship.

Besides, it seems cheaper to restore an old La Spaziale machine than buy a new one. A new La Spaziale machine for home use is in thousands of dollars.

Is a new La Spaziale machine (or a machine from any other high-end manufacturer) really a big improvement over a 1980s La Spaziale Professionale?

I would like to get new connectors like those in the pictures. I have never seen these connectors before. Where can I get them? They don't sell them at any hardware store.

Mike1 (original poster)

#24: Post by Mike1 (original poster) »

ira wrote:
The connectors, 438 are standard parts and the wiring harness, 831, would be easy to replicate if you have a sample to work from. Make sure to use bigger wire than stock as a 110V machines pulls twice the current that a 220V machine does and the original wire might be under rated for 117.

Ira
Could you please provide more details on how I can replicate them? There are two kinds of connectors: single and double.

What gauge wire can I safely use for 110V machines and can I buy them from a hardware store like Home Depot?

bengee

#25: Post by bengee »

Mike, I have no first hand experience with the machine, but looking at the pictures I found online and the schematics, the pump is vibratory. Normally, most basic ULKA pumps with the proper fittings would fit in there. They mostly all pump at 15 bar. No biggie. Very common replacement part.

By the way, you do not always need to use the exact replacement part shown in the schematic...as long as it has the same function, specs and fits....
Mike1 wrote: Is a new La Spaziale machine (or a machine from any other high-end manufacturer) really a big improvement over a 1980s La Spaziale Professionale?
Seems like this machine was more common in Europe than NA. Got some more basic info here: https://translate.google.ca/translate?h ... fessionale
It confirms my doubts, the LSP is certainly a single boiler machine with a relatively small 300ml boiler (for a semi-commercial machine of that size). My guess is that the thermostat is used to switch between brew and steam temperatures.
Are you an exclusively straight espresso drinker? Steaming milk is certainly doable with a single boiler but at the LSP footprint and given the $$$ you will have to but into it, I would invest in a heat-exchanger espresso machine.
So yeah, from my point of view, there are many machines out there that could be considered a big improvement, unfortunately. But given its special significance to you...it will still be nice to ressurect-it.
Mike1 wrote: I would like to get new connectors like those in the pictures. I have never seen these connectors before. Where can I get them? They don't sell them at any hardware store.
[/quote]
You will not find those at a harware store, Home Depot or otherwize. You need to visit a specialized electrian shop. There are certainly several in Montreal. BUT, one things is the parts, the second is installing it properly and mostly importantly SAFELY. That is why I recommend you visit a shop specializing is espresso machine restoration.

ira
Team HB

#26: Post by ira »

Mike1 wrote:Could you please provide more details on how I can replicate them? There are two kinds of connectors: single and double.

What gauge wire can I safely use for 110V machines and can I buy them from a hardware store like Home Depot?
Something like this would be fine for all the wires carrying power to the heating element, you could use 18 ga of the same type of wire for the sensors and pump.

The dual connector can be found by searching for "piggyback .250 connector", the single can be found by searching for " .250 female connector". I searched eBay, but Amazon probably has them also.

Ira

Mike1 (original poster)

#27: Post by Mike1 (original poster) »

Bengee and ira

thanks for the all the advice. Very helpful.

I will try out Espresso Mali and ask them if they can do the wiring for my machine.

Mike1 (original poster)

#28: Post by Mike1 (original poster) »

The 110 heating element has arrived. I am so happy.

Before I am testing it to see if it works, I am trying to replace the thermometer that is attached to the boiler along with the heating element. I can't remove the old thermometer. It is attached to the boiler with a nut/screw. I used copious amount of WD-40 and tried with all my strength to turn the nut counter-clockwise to loosen it and remove it. I used a regular wrench, but when the nut got ruined, I had to use a Vise-Grip. And still, the nut won't turn; it remains suck.

Can anyone give me advice on how to remove the nut/screw from the boiler?

Mike1 (original poster)

#29: Post by Mike1 (original poster) »

I have now managed to replace every major part on my La Spaziale Professionale. I replaced

110V vibratory pump
110V heating element
120V 50/60 Hz 3-way solenoid
single-phase thermostat

When I plug in the machine, the machine starts vibrating and water is being drained/pumped from the reservoir even though both the Brew button and the Coffee button are OFF. Is that normal?

When I turn the Brew button on, nothing happens, the machine continues to vibrate and draw water from the reservoir. I had to unplug the machine to stop it.

Furthermore, water comes out of the brewhead and out of the steam wand when the machine is plugged in and vibrating. That is not normal. Is the solenoid, which I just replaced, the problem?

nirdvorai
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by nirdvorai »

Did the machine drew water when you plug in the machine and the power switch is OFF?

If yes- you might have an electrical problem. And in that case you should immediately stop working on the machine, unplug it and seek help from certified electrical person, Who need to check the machine in person (not online).