Troubleshooting Urania/Marte group problems. - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cuppajoe (original poster)

#11: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Paul_Pratt wrote:Water flow from the group when you pull the lever down should be no different than a pump machine.
When the lever is pulled down, I do get a fairly strong spray from the shower screen. Less than what I see with the BDB, close to what I get with the Faemina and Duchessa, which are both adjusted to a bit less than 1 bar. I did bring the boiler in the Urania up to 1.5 bar. The valve on the neck has been adjusted halfway between lock to lock.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Paul_Pratt

#12: Post by Paul_Pratt »

You can see it in detail in this thread:

A look inside the Faema Mercurio

Advertisement
zeb

#13: Post by zeb »

That's exactly what I said initially, but fortunately Paul found where is exactly the problem. I encountered the same on my very first Mercurio and forgot... On the groups with the valve the hole is opened to allow water to come back in the boiler. When the valve was not on the later groups this hole was blocked. Your group was originally equipped with the valve but it has been removed by someone for any reason... This is not important, you just have to block the still opened hole and everything will be right ;)

#14: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thanks guys -

I had seen references to that valve on the upper neck as well as Marte groups without it, mine came with just the plug. With nothing else to go by I figured it was just the way it was supposed to be. I also now understand what I am looking at in the illustration. Was this valve installed on any particular models/vintages, or to order?

Pascal's post seems to be the ah-ha moment. The 'hole' referenced in his previous post seems to be for the one at the group flange below the dipper port. I was thinking it was for the one at the top of the neck. The link in the previous post shows a group with that hole plugged and it appears to be a version without the top valve.

So I guess the next thing to do is plug the hole at the flange. Should I try a temporary plug to test? If I should just cut to the chase, what would be the easiest material for a permanent plug? As it was originally with the valve, what are the chances of finding a replacement?
David - LMWDP 448

#15: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Upon reflection, I think the simplest solution would be to tap the hole and plug it with a cap screw. So will give it a go if something else doesn't get suggested.
David - LMWDP 448

zeb

#16: Post by zeb »

As I had the same issue with the group of my friend Kaspar I made a few pictures.

Did you finally made your David ?

#17: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Yes, it is done and the machine now works as it should. The hole was 7mm, but for some reason 7mm SS fasteners do not exist here, the only M7 I could find were mild steel cap screws. Poking around the garage I found a piece of 7mm brass rod, so I fabbed my own screw. Luckily I had M7 taps and dies on hand.

Thanks again for all the help. A real head scratcher...
David - LMWDP 448

Advertisement
zeb

#18: Post by zeb »

Perfect! Have fun ;)

#19: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Hi Pascal -

Thanks, finally can. Thanks again for all your help.
David - LMWDP 448

zeb

#20: Post by zeb »

It's a pleasure ;)