Trouble with Izzo Alex

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mike01

#1: Post by mike01 »

My Izzo Alex machine has been acting up the last couple days. The first thing I noticed is that the two lights on the front of the machine, the green power light and the red heating element light will both stay on when the machine is fully heated with the heating element running. The way they normally function is when the heating element comes on, the red light turns on and the green light turns off. Now they both are on at the same time. The second thing is the machine is periodically tripping my ground fault in my kitchen. I was told to check the heating element and it appears to be ok. I am measuring just under 12 ohms between the two legs on the element, and getting infinite resistance between the element and the ground. Not sure if anybody has any ideas, but my first though was the Gicar control box as I have had to replace it once already. Thanks.

mike01 (original poster)

#2: Post by mike01 (original poster) »

After spending considerable time troubleshooting this, I'm 99% sure I've isolated the problem. It looks like the pressurestat was the issue. Apparently a leak developed within the membrane which caused water to get into the microswitch shorting out the circuit and causing both lights to come on. That was also causing the ground fault to trip. Ordering one tonight and crossing my fingers this fixes the issue.

GeorgeP922

#3: Post by GeorgeP922 »

Hey, my first machine was an Izzo Alex.
My second was an Izzo Alex Duetto.

Main difference, I have not had to replace a thing, or fix anything on the Duetto. (almost 3 years)

The original, I had to replace almost every valve as they leaked, the pressure release thing on the top of boiler was blowing steam.
The buyer was happy knowing that I replaced so much.

Downside, I sorta missed that relay clicking, and the hot steamy water from the HX.
Hard to leave it on when its doing the loud clicks.

Oh yea, and the relay that does the clicking had to be replaced too.