Trouble programming the Faema Carisma

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
number9

#1: Post by number9 » Dec 06, 2013, 11:04 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but I just unboxed mine... aaaaaand just like my
other two espresso machines, it is broken right off the bat. It seems to heat up fine, but
the boiler temp was really high right out of the box (like 257 degrees F), so I wanted to lower it.
It says in the manual to hit the "OK" button for four seconds, then it will go to a "set" screen with
an asterisk next to it, which will show the set temperature and you can adjust it with the +/- buttons.
On that screen however, it shows a different number, in F, and the top number is always 0 0.
Adjusting this screen makes the pressure and temperature go down/up, but the numbers are
pretty meaningless.

Here is the screen before I press the "OK" button for four seconds:

And here is the screen after I press the "OK" button:

You will also notice that the boiler pressure is pretty low.. even when I crank the "set" screen
up to 127 (whatever that means) and the boiler "temp" screen shows 255F, the boiler pressure seems
to be under 8 bar...

I was going to sell my elektra, but I have had so many problems with every coffee maker I have owned,
I think I am going to send the Faema back without putting coffee in it and either get a new one or a refund.
Unless I am doing something really stupid, but I actually read the manual before I fired it up, and re-read it
when it gave me the odd numbers when I tried to set the boiler temperature.

...split from Unboxing Carisma by Faema by moderator...

keno

#2: Post by keno » Dec 06, 2013, 11:38 pm

number9 wrote:You will also notice that the boiler pressure is pretty low.. even when I crank the "set" screen
up to 127 (whatever that means) and the boiler "temp" screen shows 255F, the boiler pressure seems
to be under 8 bar...
Um . . . I'm not familiar with this machine and can't help you with your problem, but I believe the gauge on the left is brew pressure for the pump, not for the boiler. If that was the boiler pressure your machine would have probably exploded. Boiler pressure should only be about 1.2 bar. And if I'm not mistaken 255 degrees is the correct boiler temperature to get 1.2 bar.

Was the pump on when this photo was taken, perhaps for a boiler refill? The Carisma has a vibe pump and the pressure will not display full 9 bar unless its against the resistance of the puck. Definitely suggest you read the manual and contact the dealer. There may be nothing wrong with the machine once it is properly set up.

erics

#3: Post by erics » Dec 06, 2013, 11:46 pm

The only thing I see "wrong" is that the set screen is showing the temp in degrees C even though it has the degrees F designation after the number.

Do the math: 121 C is very darn close to 249 F.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Vig

#4: Post by Vig » Dec 06, 2013, 11:52 pm

It almost seems as though the set screen is showing the temperature in celsius and not in Fahrenheit, even though the set screen clearly indicates degrees F - 121 degrees C is 249.8 degrees F. It would likely be best to contact the seller and ask if this is a known issue.

The manometer gauge is not showing boiler pressure - it is present to show pressure of the system during the brewing process

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster » Dec 07, 2013, 12:25 am

I would try toggling the temperature readout to °C and then hold down the button for four seconds and see what temp is displayed, could be that it always displays temperature in °C when setting the boiler temperature.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster » Dec 07, 2013, 12:54 am

Check out this video at about 2:00 and you'll see the user toggle the machine into temperature setting mode. The machine was displaying in Bars but when the button was held for four seconds, the display switched to °C and then back to Bars when he was done. Unfortunately, I didn't find a video in English demonstrating this, but it seems fairly clear.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

number9

#7: Post by number9 » Dec 07, 2013, 8:54 am

To everyone who noted that the temp is registering in Celsius... yes, I knew that right off the bat. The problem is this:

There is not one instance in the manual where it says that it will display in Celsius. I re-read the manual twice to check. I am assuming that the temperature reading is displaying in F, which is denoted by the "F" next to the reading, and that the "set" page is displaying in Celsius, but it still has the "F" next to it. In the german video he is just switching between the boiler temperature display and the pressure display. Mine does that too, but the temp is in F. If I hold down the "OK" for four seconds while I am on the pressure display it just goes to the "set" page for the temperature, with the "F" next to it, but seemingly displaying in Celsius.

yakster, that is what I first assumed, like "oh its in Celsius and I need to toggle it," but again, the manual does not state that you can toggle it between Celsius and Fahrenheit, or even that it will display in Celsius.

My opinion is that it is "broken". Sure, it looks like it is working, but this machine has an MSRP of $2395.
A programming error for a controller that only does four functions on a $2395 device is not "OK". I will call
ChrisCoffee on monday and see what they say.

Again, I did not want to hijack the thread. I was going to post here about using it, but I think I will send it back for a new one/refund/something. Thanks for the input.

Jerry43

#8: Post by Jerry43 » Dec 07, 2013, 9:21 am

Press the ok button just long enough to get the "set" to appear. If I hold mine for 4 seconds it goes goofy and displays "error".

Jerry43

#9: Post by Jerry43 » Dec 07, 2013, 10:29 am

It will display in bar pressure, or F. For those not familiar with the machine, the big number is the set to temp and the small number is the actual temp.

Bummer having to wait until Monday to talk to Chris.

CSME9

#10: Post by CSME9 » Dec 07, 2013, 11:00 am

number9 wrote:To everyone who noted that the temp is registering in Celsius... yes, I knew that right off the bat. The problem
is this:

There is not one instance in the manual where it says that it will display in Celsius. I re-read the manual twice
to check. I am assuming that the temperature reading is displaying in F, which is denoted by the "F" next
to the reading, and that the "set" page is displaying in Celsius, but it still has the "F" next to it. In the german video
he is just switching between the boiler temperature display and the pressure display. Mine does that too, but
the temp is in F. If I hold down the "OK" for four seconds while I am on the pressure display it just goes to the
"set" page for the temperature, with the "F" next to it, but seemingly displaying in Celsius.

yakster, that is what I first assumed, like "oh its in Celsius and I need to toggle it," but again, the manual
does not state that you can toggle it between Celsius and Fahrenheit, or even that it will display in Celsius.

My opinion is that it is "broken". Sure, it looks like it is working, but this machine has an MSRP of $2395.
A programming error for a controller that only does four functions on a $2395 device is not "OK". I will call
ChrisCoffee on monday and see what they say.

Again, I did not want to hijack the thread. I was going to post here about using it, but I think I will send it
back for a new one/refund/something. Thanks for the input.
Number9.....Send Chris N owner at CCS an email today, he is known to monitor an answer emails after hours and may be able to help solve the programming issue.