Trips circuit breaker yesterday and works today. What next?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jgrosjean

#1: Post by jgrosjean »

I have a Rancilio s27. It's old but has been working well for the last few months.

Then yesterday it would:
  1. Heat up and maintain heat
  2. Trip circuit breaker when asked to dispense water. This wouldn't happen instantly... maybe 1 second in. Water would come out group head, then circuit would trip.
I tried this 4 or 5 times, while turning off other things on circuit, and got same behavior.

And today everything is back to normal. Works great!

Any thoughts on what would cause this would I should do next. Good to just keep going and pretend it didn't happen, or is there some problem that I should check for?

Thanks,
Jesse

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Could be it had some moisture in the electrical circuit, which has since dried out. Look for evidence of leaks. I once spilled water down the top of one of my machines and it tripped the GFCI. I let it sit a short while and it did the same thing. So, I moved it to a non-GFCI outlet, turned it on for a few hours and put a sign on it DO NOT TOUCH. The internal heat dried it out and the problem never recurred.

Scott_G

#3: Post by Scott_G »

Is it tripping the breaker at the box or a GFCI?

jgrosjean (original poster)

#4: Post by jgrosjean (original poster) replying to Scott_G »

It was tripping the breaker at the box.

#5: Post by jgrosjean (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:Could be it had some moisture in the electrical circuit, which has since dried out. Look for evidence of leaks
Of course possible, but no leaks or spills that I know of.

Jake_G
Team HB

#6: Post by Jake_G »

If it does it again, try to isolate if it is the pump or the group solenoid tripping the breaker.

To do this, I would reset the breaker and pull hot water out of the hot water dispenser instead of the group and see if it can top off the boiler without tripping. Breaker trips are going to be an overload condition, which is generally (though not always) a phase to neutral short and those don't generally come and go like a ground fault can due to things like moisture in the heating element terminals.

If the pump runs to top off the boiler, but not to pull a shot from the group, I would look into the circuit for the coil on the 3 way valve for the group.

Not sure if you still have the spare machine laying around, but swapping for a known working coil is always a solid troubleshooting step if you've ruled out the pump as the culprit.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

#7: Post by jgrosjean (original poster) »

Jake,

Thanks... just what I needed. So far it's still all working fine, but if it happens again I'll have a few things to try instead of just staring at the thing with a frown on my face! :)

Jesse

belegnole

#8: Post by belegnole »

If there's nothing wrong with the machine it could be just that you were drawing to much on that line at the time. What all is plugged into that line and was it running when the circuit breaker tripped? I've had breakers trip when running one to many appliances. Especially if the breaker was on the way out. Not that I'm saying that there's anything wrong with your electrical system. Just that the problem may not have been the machine you were looking at when the breaker tripped.
LMWDP #641