TIP: cleaning shower screen

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
HedonisticBeans

#1: Post by HedonisticBeans »

I soaked my shower screen in cafiza and then went at it with both a tooth brush and a hard bristle brush.
I got most of the surface gunk out but the coffee in the micron holes were tough.

So I used my pressure washer.
Because I can't hold the shower screen - dangerous. Can rip your fingers badly.

I set the shower screen in a generic to-go coffee shop cup.

Fortunately bottom of the disposable cup was exactly the size of my shower screen.
Then just power wash the shower screen in the cup.
I found that I got more power by turning the cup upside down and spraying up into it. This way the cup isnt filling with water and reducing the pressure effect.

Wonderful.

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

you mean the Shower screen? Anyway, a pressure washer IMO is far too blunt of a tool for something as small as a filter basket or showerscreen.
If either needs cleaning I throw it in a small ultrasonic cleaner with some triphosphate cleaner (like Cafiza), ultrasonic cleaner should not cost much and do wonders on all sorts of small and delicate items.
LMWDP #483
★ Helpful

Advertisement
HedonisticBeans (original poster)

#3: Post by HedonisticBeans (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

Oh yeah, shower screen.

I was willing to risk to test.
Turns out fine.

makspyat

#4: Post by makspyat »

Or, you could just get a puck screen from Flair or BPlus, and stop cleaning your shower screen whatsoever, because it is clean.

The machine still has to be back flushed once every few weeks or so, but otherwise it is maintenance free (mine is not E61, and the grouphead does not require lubrication).

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate »

With my IMS nano screen I've never needed anything more than a group head brush and very hot water. A couple of time I've soaked it in Jo Glo and it doesn't appear to get any cleaner. Largely its a non issue if you clean it every week or two.
★ Helpful

John49

#6: Post by John49 »

Regular cleaning would avoid such build up.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#7: Post by RapidCoffee »

This post belongs in another thread:
The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day...

:lol:
John

Advertisement
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by PIXIllate replying to RapidCoffee »

Ha!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

Marcelnl wrote:...
If either needs cleaning I throw it in a small ultrasonic cleaner with some triphosphate cleaner (like Cafiza), ultrasonic cleaner should not cost much and do wonders on all sorts of small and delicate items.
I do the same.

Keeping in the "Tip" title of this thread, one tip I would have is for machines with groups that use mechanical moving parts like E-61's or lever machines. In a new machine or a machine that has just been maintained/lubricated, the grease used can make its way down to the shower screen and - especially with silicone lubricants - the grease will collect on the screen. I will clean the screen much more often in these situations.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

piezo

#10: Post by piezo »

I just put mine in the dishwasher. Comes out clean every time.