Stumped trying to plumb in Bezzera B3000AL [Solved]

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
[creative nickname]

#1: Post by [creative nickname] »

Hi all! I'm hitting a weird obstacle trying to plumb in this commercial one-group lever. It has a water inlet with a male fitting, next to another pipe with what seems to be the same size fitting, but is capped off. The cap can be screwed onto either position, and I took it to Home Depot and it was a match for ordinary 3/8 brass pipe fittings.

I'm trying to plumb this into my water filter system using John Guest fittings, but nothing I can find seems to match up. The John Guest 3/8NPTF to 3/8 OD won't thread on. I tried 3/8 BSPP but that won't fit either. 1/2 seems to be too big. Is there some other kind of fitting out there that I am missing?

Here's a picture in case it helps anyone figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

LMWDP #435

[creative nickname] (original poster)

#2: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

My seller says it is a "3/8 conical" and that a hose like this should fit:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Flexschlauch-An ... 2355502282

Does anyone know if John Guest makes 3/8 conical fittings? I am striking out on a google search.

Maybe there is some other kind of adaptor I can use to hook it up to my system?

Is conical the same thing as flare fittings? Sorry if these are silly questions but I am still working on learning plumbing lingo.
LMWDP #435

#3: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

The plot thickens. The seller says the fitting is a 3/8 BSP, but the 3/8 BSP female John Guest fitting I have will not screw onto it. I am just totally puzzled by this. Anyone have any suggestions?
LMWDP #435

grog

#4: Post by grog »

But the cap that goes on either fitting, did fit onto standard 3/8 BSP fittings? That is very puzzling. Do you have means to measure thread pitch to confirm?
LMWDP #514

#5: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

The cap went onto 3/8 NPT at the Home Depot, actually. But neither 3/8 BPS or NPT John Guest female fittings will screw on to it. I can sort of engage the threads at first but as I start to tighten it always levers itself to the side and pops off.

I don't have 3/8 BPS in a male thread available to check with, but I can swing by the hardware store and check that out at some point.
LMWDP #435

grog

#6: Post by grog »

If it comes down to it, it appears that the fitting could be removed and replaced with one that works with the John Guest fittings.
LMWDP #514

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

From the looks of it, I think you can just use a standard sink or dishwasher supply line.

I believe 3/8" "compression" fittings use 9/16-18 threads. You can check with a standard 9/16" nut to verify.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

#8: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) replying to Jake_G »

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think that's right. I had some spare JG 3/8 compression fittings from where I hooked our water filter into the line feeding the bar sink. They are even smaller than the 3/8 NPT I have on hand, so you cannot even start the threads.
LMWDP #435

#9: Post by [creative nickname] (original poster) »

grog wrote:If it comes down to it, it appears that the fitting could be removed and replaced with one that works with the John Guest fittings.
I know it looks liked that is possible, but that's just a nut holding the inlet pipe tight to the bracket coming down from the frame. As far as I can see I'd have to rework a bunch of the machine's plumbing in order to replace this inlet piece, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible.
LMWDP #435

Jake_G
Team HB

#10: Post by Jake_G »

[creative nickname] wrote:I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think that's right. I had some spare JG 3/8 compression fittings from where I hooked our water filter into the line feeding the bar sink. They are even smaller than the 3/8 NPT I have on hand, so you cannot even start the threads.
What about 1/2" compression? That would be 3/4-16 threads. One alternative would be that these are metric threads, but that would be be bizarre...

It would be helpful if you could measure the diameter of the nipple.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704