Strietman - no heat

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
pGolay

#1: Post by pGolay »

Hey all, my CT-1 has just given up on heating - it gets to 105 or so degrees F and stalls. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this and knows what the fix is - presumably a new heating element, but I'm hoping it's something I can do myself without sending the whole unit back to the Netherlands - it seems like that could take a very long time. I also wrote and asked Wouter of course.

cheers, I hope everyone is staying safe.
-PG

ira
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by ira »

If it gets to 105 I'd assume the heating element is still working and the thermostat is bunky. Have you tried adjusting the temperature to see if it changes?

Ira

pGolay

#3: Post by pGolay »

Thanks, yeah, it could be the thermostat - I did monkey with the temperature knob - no change. I can't quite tell from the exploded view on the Strietman.net site but it looks like there may be two heating elements, possibly.
-PG

ira
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by ira »

I don't have one, but it might be two elements like this inserted into the kettlle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Artillery-Side ... 4076462023

It's not that, but I think it might be that style. If so it should be easy to replace. If that turns out to be the problem. Can you take the cover off and look at the wiring?

Ira

pGolay

#5: Post by pGolay »

Hi Ira - thanks, yes, I think they are likely in that style, judging from the exploded sketch. I'm not going to unscrew anything until I hear back from Wouter, but yes, hopefully, it will be one like that, and easy enough to fix.
-PG

pGolay

#6: Post by pGolay »

Well, Wouter does not want me to unscrew anything. He did say, for you CT-2 owners, that the CT-2 design is more amenable to DIY repairs than the CT-1. I did not bite. In any case, he'll refurbish the whole thing - all new innards. It's just... time.
-PG