Steam coming from grouphead of La Marzocco Linea Mini

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
sox203

#1: Post by sox203 »

Hi I'm new to this forum and am dealing with my first repair of my mini. It seems like the water temperature control of is not working consistently and I'm seeing steam come out of the group head. This has been intermittently happening for a while and continues to get worse. Has anyone else seen this or any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Jrodanapolis

#2: Post by Jrodanapolis »

I had a similar issue after a rabbit hole of repairs with my mini. A previous owner did some odd things with the machine and I had to retrace steps after having several problems. I reached out to LM for assistance and they recommended this:

"This sounds like you could have an issue with a dirty temperature potentiometer.

Please try the following: Rotate your temperature wheel throughout its range three or four times, and then set it at its coolest position. After this, set your temperature via the app to your desired temp (approximately 200F for most people).

Then shut off your machine, allow it to cool, then turn it back on and allow it to heat up. If everything fires up normally, we may have solved it. If after turning your machine back on, your red light flashes and does not go solid, the thermal reset switch on the back of your brew boiler may have tripped and it will need to be reset."

That didn't work, unfortunately, and ultimately I needed a new board. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but the only logical thing the tech and I came up with is that the previous owner replaced the brew solenoid incorrectly, sheared off the discharge tube, and water made its way back to the board to short something on it.

Maybe give the potentiometer spins a try? How old is your machine? If its still under warranty, you could have LM send a tech out. If not, you could buy the IoT new board, but I'm hoping it's something cheaper and easier to fix.

transit

#3: Post by transit »

Hi, it's been happening to me too.
- about a year ago in conjunction with problems with the steam boiler. I had the board replaced and solved the problem for a while;
- more recently it happened again and a LM tech told me to do a weird thing that actually worked :
" I can suggest that the cable plugs coming from the coffee boiler thermostat in the black high temp sleeve could be re-crimped."
I did it with pliers, no issues for months.
Hope that helps.