Spark and not heating anymore - Page 4

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BaristaBoy E61

#31: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Giampiero wrote:Does somebody with more experience with this machine can confirm if the electric diagram is correct?
The SSR should be for the coffee boiler, but in the diagram is for the steam boiler...and unless i get confused, seems even powered by 110 Vac, while the OP SSR is 4-32 Vdc.
By intuition i'll say that a functionality check of the white power relay should be necessary, but i would not call it RL3 based on the diagram because i don't know if is really wired as the diagram.
You are correct, I've noticed these confusing things in the posted wiring diagram too regarding the SSR and other relays. Additionally, it looks like the SSR won't even be able to switch 'ON' unless the 15/20A mode switch is closed. That looks more like a steam boiler ON/OFF switch than a 15/20amp mode switch that in later models is set or switched via the PID itself. S2 is the steam boiler ON/OFF switch according to the parts legend. Looks like the steam boiler is controlled by a pressure stat (K2) but I see no temperature probe for the brew boiler. All very confusing.

No, the spike would not have likely blown the heating elements - even if the machine was ON, which the OP said it wasn't.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by Pressino »

parsa_taheri wrote:... The red light is on when the machine is on. However the boilers don't heat up....
As I wrote earlier, the LED on the SSR lights up when there is the proper DC voltage applied to the input terminals. The LED is basically an "optocoupler" that stimulates a photosensitive semiconductor (several types exist), which then closes the "switch" of the output leads.

A lit SSR LED just means there is enough voltage at the input to light the LED. It doesn't necessarily mean the SSR is working. If the photosensitive "receiving" semiconductor id defective, or there is some other problem with the output side of the SSR, it may not allow output current to flow. And of course if there is no AC voltage going to the output of the SSR, even if the SSR is otherwise functional, the boiler will not heat.

Once you understand how these SSRs work, it's not hard to figure out what could be wrong with the circuits they are in.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by Pressino »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:You are correct, I've noticed these confusing things in the posted wiring diagram too regarding the SSR and other relays. Additionally, it looks like the SSR won't even be able to switch 'ON' unless the 15/20A mode switch is closed. All very confusing.

No, the spike would not have likely blown the heating elements - even if the machine was ON, which the OP said it wasn't.
It looks like the steam boiler is somehow controlled by an SSR, which in the diagram is described as "NC" meaning "normally closed." And it does look like the control (input) voltage is AC rather than DC. The OP's SSR is clearly marked for DC input voltage and AC output.

All very confusing indeed if that circuit diagram applied to the OP's machine.

BaristaBoy E61

#34: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Have you tried calling Chris' Coffee service dept.?
They're the North American importer of Izzo machines.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

JRising
Team HB

#35: Post by JRising »

Pressino wrote:It looks like the steam boiler is somehow controlled by an SSR, which in the diagram is described as "NC" meaning "normally closed." And it does look like the control (input) voltage is AC rather than DC. The OP's SSR is clearly marked for DC input voltage and AC output.
All very confusing indeed if that circuit diagram applied to the OP's machine.

RL2 is the black SSR that turns the brew-element on and off. It has a DC input from the PID. It has a lines AC voltage to the element and the SSR-NC. This way, with the 15/20A switch open(open = 20A) the SSR-NC never gets signal, stays normally closed and both elements are free to draw power simultaneously. With the 15/20A switch closed, the SSR-NC will get a signal whenever the (priority) brew boiler is heating, thus ssr-nc will open and steam boiler waits.

I can't tell you exactly where SSR-NC is without having a machine open in front of me, but just follow the black conductor from the 15/20 switch. the one that doesn't go to the element will go to it. It's smaller than you expect. (I'm losing track, now)... Right, last is RL3...

RL3 is the greyish box relay that was in the early photos of this thread. It turns the steam boiler's element on and off with the pressostat so long as S2 (Steam boiler switch) is closed.