Solis SL70 trips GFI - possible moving damage?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ftccoffee

#1: Post by ftccoffee »

I just pulled our Solis sl70 out of the basement, 5 years after we moved. It worked before being packed away.

I plugged it in and as soon as I activated the pump, it immediately tripped the GFI. I tried another circuit - same result. Sometimes it will trip the GFI as soon as I turn it on (i.e., just heating, not pumping).

I have not been able to find an equipment shop in the northern Colorado where we live that is willing to diagnose it, and I am somewhat handy, so I figure it is worth trying to fix it.

Since it did work before we put it in the box when we moved, I am wondering if it is possible that the pump is stuck (maybe lax descaling on our part).

I have the user manual, but it says nothing about disassembly. I saw the philips screw at the back of the top metal cover, and loosened that screw and the back edge comes up, but so far I have been able to work out how to get that cover off. Could someone give me any tips on taking the sl70 apart?

thanks for any pointers.

-Peter

Auctor

#2: Post by Auctor »

My very first espresso machine was a Solis SL70. Loved that machine and have lots of fond memories. Easy to use, well built, and relatively inexpensive (at the time). My only mistake was never pairing it with a good enough grinder. Eventually gave it to my espresso loving brother in law and he used it for years.

I can't help you, but wish you luck and I hope you're able to fix it!

ftccoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by ftccoffee (original poster) »

still looking for help.

I was able to get the covers off and although I first assumed it was a melted heater, when a friend helped me, it looks like while the pump makes noise, it doesn't seem to pump any water.
Does anyone have a source for that pump?
ULKA S.p.A ITALY Model E Type EP4 120V

thanks Peter

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

EP4 is a plastic-outlet E4-series pump, with is a bit different than the more common E5-series used in many other machines.

There is some information at http://www.ulka-ceme.co.uk/EP-4-.htm.

Double-check the model number and they should be available as spares from both coffee-parts vendors and perhaps at marketplace generalists, such as third-party sellers in Amazon. It is probably worth trying to re-prime the pump. If its coil shows any evidence of melting or flow, I'd replace it.

#5: Post by ftccoffee (original poster) »

thanks so much for your helpful reply Jeff.

I have found several sources for the EP5 version.

The differences seem to be
EP4 1/1 min duty cycle 41w (mine has a date stamp of 22/04/05)
EP5 2/1 min duty cycle 52 w

I wonder if it is worth the $35 risk to see if the physical size of the EP5 version is close enough to swap?

Also I don't know how to check the coils - nor do I know how to re-prime (and google hasn't helped me out yet on that front).

Any further coaching would be appreciated.

thanks Peter

#6: Post by ftccoffee (original poster) »

found this helpful thread
Rotary pump will not draw water after long storage

and so I trying taking the pump apart since I have now tested it outside the machine and it is not pull water (even when I raised the input reservior above the pump - so some positive pressure was in play).

Still wondering if I can swap in an EP5 pump...

thanks Peter

#7: Post by ftccoffee (original poster) »

after taking out the plastic pump that slides inside the motor and messing around with it, I have it pumping water!

not sure if the flow rate will be enough to drive the boiler but I guess I'll try re-assembling the machine and see if it will pump descaler through.

Still willing to hear more coaching - and thanks for the ideas and encouragement so far.

thanks

-Peter