Software UI mods for Decent Espresso? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
TallDan

#11: Post by TallDan »

Opening it up to the public would significantly increase the need for moderation, I'd bet, and decent isn't in the business of running public Internet forums.

I'll also echo that basecamp is not a great platform for a forum. It seems like the activity there has been declining, despite the fact that decent ownership is increasing.

ira
Team HB

#12: Post by ira »

When noise is allowed, i.e., lots of customer service and beginner questions, the interesting people leave. Mitigating that requires work and moderation, something Decent seems not to believe in.

mdreuben
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by mdreuben replying to ira »

Please tell me how Decent doesn't believe in work and moderation. Decent has shown on so many occasions that it is working hard to manage and support a growth that has been nothing short of amazing. Most of the time they get it right, occasionally some stuff can fall through the cracks. A measure of a company should be on how well they recover from mistakes, not on whether or not they never make any.

In fact, I've never gotten better support on any product that I've purchased. Not only from Decent, but also from any number of fellow owners that spring to life whenever I've had a question. Also, Decent has actually supported and participates in two additional forums other than it's own Basecamp for users who wanted an additional place for discussions on a number of topics. Some of the "interesting" people have migrated there for more technical discussions.

ira
Team HB

#14: Post by ira »

It would be too easy for me to go off on a long and rambling rant about my issues with Decent

And yes, you're correct that for most people with most problems they have excellent customer service. It's just that I tend to find the cracks and there are lots of them to find if you look or fall into them.
★ Helpful

ira
Team HB

#15: Post by ira »

This thread on Basecamp covers a fair number of issues:

https://3.basecamp.com/3671212/buckets/ ... 4981990791

Note that if you're not a Decent owner, this won't work.

cebseb

#16: Post by cebseb »

ira wrote:This thread on Basecamp covers a fair number of issues:

https://3.basecamp.com/3671212/buckets/ ... 4981990791

Not that if you're not a Decent owner, this won't work.

Thanks for the link. I rarely drop in there, but I do enjoy reading up on the more colorful threads.

ira
Team HB

#17: Post by ira »

By work and moderation, I meant to maintain the usability and minimize the noise level of Basecamp. That's all I was talking about when I made that comment, nothing but Basecamp.

jamescauwelier

#18: Post by jamescauwelier »

jxyz wrote:The closed forums were a selling point for me. User forums and software development don't always have the same near term requirements though.
I can see that, but as suggested, it could be made read-only. Or forums could be managed properly and kept on-topic, potentially using volunteers to do so.

In any case, I find the closed forums to run opposite to the claims of having an open-source mentality. That's the sticking point for me: not delivering on expectations of your own making. (I might still buy one, but I am concerned...)

jamescauwelier

#19: Post by jamescauwelier »

ira wrote:When noise is allowed, i.e., lots of customer service and beginner questions, the interesting people leave. Mitigating that requires work and moderation, something Decent seems not to believe in.
When claiming open-source and open-collaborative virtues, it is not up to Decent to decide what the community believes in. It's up to the community to organize around the moderation if it is desired and wanted by them and it is Decent's responsibility to not block that. There's quite a bit of research available on the social definitions of co-creations and collaboration and, even though the API's might allow it, the community structure currently makes it too hard.

jamescauwelier

#20: Post by jamescauwelier »

mdreuben wrote:Also, Decent has actually supported and participates in two additional forums other than it's own Basecamp for users who wanted an additional place for discussions on a number of topics. Some of the "interesting" people have migrated there for more technical discussions.
Are those open and can you point me towards it? Is there anything software focussed?

It's great to hear about your positive experiences, I'm not discounting those. But I do believe there are some quirks that hinder the software community to properly organize around the hardware. The management of forums and other community resources are examples of that.