Small leak from output end of Ulka pump

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
shadow745

#1: Post by shadow745 »

I have a KA Pro Line espresso machine that is working really well. As most of you know it's basically a Gaggia Classic with double the components. It utilizes the usual Ulka vibe pump. I recently noticed a small leak (light trickle) on the output end of the pump where it threads onto the OPV. I've looked at all parts of the pump and the nylon output pipe and it's most definitely coming from the threaded area. Nothing appears to be cracked. It looks as if some type of teflon thread seal was used when it was assembled, but the part may have worked its way loose over time. Can any of you tell me if this part (nylon output) can be rotated in order to tighten it a bit without having to remove the pump or OPV? Thanks for any info. Later!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Tweaking it 1/8th turn may stop the leak, but no more. It's a metal fitting against nylon threads and you could easily strip them. I recommend removing the fitting and reapplying several turns of teflon tape. For those reading along, the "P" in the Ulka pump model numbers indicates the material of the output end (P = plastic, X = brass). Lots of espresso machines use the EP5.
Dan Kehn

JonS

#3: Post by JonS replying to HB »

I'm with Dan on this, use a reasonable amount of plumbers teflon tape. It shouldn't take much to cure the leak. I had the same problem on the pump on my zaffiro, and this is what I did.

I didn't use masses of tape because I was worried that it might cause the threads to misalign and strip the plastic part. Make sure it's smoothed over nicely as well. Also be very gentle and careful screwing the parts back together so you don't cross-thread them. I find that pressing the fittings together and then turning a turn or so as if I was unscrewing helps to seat the threads before turning the right way to screw them together.

Jon