Slayer 220v electrical questions

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
flchriso

#1: Post by flchriso »

I am not an electrician, so please excuse if this is a dumb question.

I was wondering if there is any way for the 3 prong plug on a 220v Slayer to be swapped out (I believe the plug is a Nema L6-30) to a 4 prong plug like a dryer uses (I believe a Nema 14-30)? Or alternatively, could you open the machine and swap the whole cord?

On another note beyond the obvious heating element swaps, what else would have to be changed to convert the machine to a 110v? Any other parts?The brain?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

You would likely have to send it back to Slayer for conversion to 120V. Much cheaper to just have an electrician run you another 240 line. As long as you have sufficient wattage, and 220-240V single phase, you should be fine changing the plug.

flchriso (original poster)

#3: Post by flchriso (original poster) »

Is the 220v slayer a single phase not dual phase? Could I then use one of those step up transformers? (sorry again for the newbie questions here...)

felyko

#4: Post by felyko replying to flchriso »

I think the step up transformers come with warnings against prolonged use.

#5: Post by flchriso (original poster) »

mivanitsky wrote:You would likely have to send it back to Slayer for conversion to 120V. Much cheaper to just have an electrician run you another 240 line. As long as you have sufficient wattage, and 220-240V single phase, you should be fine changing the plug.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am a renter so I would like to do the minimal amount of changes to the apartment that I have to. Do they sell Nema 14-30 plugs that you can just swap out? Or am I way off base here?

#6: Post by flchriso (original poster) »

felyko wrote:I think the step up transformers come with warnings against prolonged use.
Good to know. Thanks

#7: Post by flchriso (original poster) »

mivanitsky wrote:You would likely have to send it back to Slayer for conversion to 120V. Much cheaper to just have an electrician run you another 240 line. As long as you have sufficient wattage, and 220-240V single phase, you should be fine changing the plug.
Did your Slayer come with a plug attached when you bought it? After doing a bit of research it looks like the machine has 2 hots and one ground wire, so no neutral wire? So could you even use a 4 prong since that is for 2 hots, a neutral & a ground? Could you leave the neutral empty?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

flchriso wrote:I am not an electrician, so please excuse if this is a dumb question.

I was wondering if there is any way for the 3 prong plug on a 220v Slayer to be swapped out (I believe the plug is a Nema L6-30) to a 4 prong plug like a dryer uses (I believe a Nema 14-30)? Or alternatively, could you open the machine and swap the whole cord?
You can easily convert an older 3 wire cord/240v dryer to a 4 wire cord/plug so I imagine that it's doable. You'd want to discuss it with Slayer or an electrician before attempting the swap.
LMWDP 267

cruiten

#9: Post by cruiten »

I am not an electrician, so take this with a grain of salt...

Your 4-prong 240v dryer outlet should have four wires: 2 hot, 1 ground, and 1 neutral.

A NEMA 6-30 plug has three wires: 2 hot, and 1 ground.

So, your power supply (dryer outlet) has everything that your Slayer is looking for. The Slayer simply does not need the neutral wire.

If you don't want to replace your dryer outlet, then you can simply purchase a plug adapter like this: https://acworks.com/products/ad1430l630 ... -to-l6-30r

PS: Please hire a licensed electrician if you do decide to replace your dryer outlet...

ira
Team HB

#10: Post by ira »

The dryer outlet should have everything you need to power your Slayer. You'll need a new outlet in the wall, a new plug on the Slayer's cord or a suitable adapter like the one pointed to in the last post.

Ira