Santoker (et.al.) 500g roaster view glass replacement source...?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Randy G.

#1: Post by Randy G. »

My Revolution R500 came to me with a cracked viewing window glass. I can't measure it thickness because I have not removed it as it will fall to pieces when I do. I measured it with a digital caliper at 30mm in diameter and I would guess it is something like 1 or 2mm thick at the most. I have a sent a message to Wintop in China. If anyone knows a USA importer with parts or a better source overseas I would appreciate it. An American half dollar would replace it as an emergency fix (and only cost me 50 cents), but I would like the glass part.

I checked McMasters and they have quartz discs, but only seem to have inch sizes:
1" = 25.40mm
1.125" = 28.5750mm (they do not list this size)
30mm - size I need
1.25" = 31.750mm (they do not list this size)
1.5" = 38.10mm
I don't feel like hand removing a 4mm radius off a thin, hardened glass disc.

If anyone has any leads I would appreciate it.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
*20th Anniversary 2000-2020*

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

Mica good enough or do you want/need true transparency? I recently looked up some threads about a Faemina looking glass and one of the tips was for a watch maker. oops, the faemina does not get anywhere near as hot as a roaster...
LMWDP #483

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

something like this, bound to be available on Ali as well

https://nl.grandado.com/products/anti-s ... ruEALw_wcB
LMWDP #483

Randy G. (original poster)

#4: Post by Randy G. (original poster) »

It does need to be clear, otherwise there is little point to have it for viewing the roast. The watch crystal is not a bad idea but I could find do specific data on its temperature rating. If I can find nothing else I might give it a try- Thank You.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

The watch crystal approach is the best, as long as it can be confirmed that it's sapphire, not acrylic. Sapphire can tolerate something near or over 3000ªF before melting. As a lens for a roaster, it wouldn't even blink at that heat.

Randy G. (original poster)

#6: Post by Randy G. (original poster) »

Thanks, Tom. I should have known to contact you right off! I have gone through your old review of the Santoker more than once.. even more than twice!
Do you think 1.5mm is the proper thickness? I don't dare remove the old one to measure before having a replacement on hand.