Sama lusso, la Romana rebuild

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
xxooxxoo

#1: Post by xxooxxoo »

I just got a old Sama lusso from eBay, try to clean inside out and make some espresso.

The gasket is x shape, which is pretty unusual, I've never seem any gaskets on any of my levers before,

the spring is the same as ponte vecchio lusso,

Sightglass is similar to olympia club

Heat element is triangle shape, which is also different than other lever

The main frame is made by aluminum, cover is metal boiler is copper.

The group head gasket is
outside5.5cm
inside 4.3cm
0.6cm wide

xxooxxoo (original poster)

#2: Post by xxooxxoo (original poster) »

max

#3: Post by max »

This is a great and sturdy machine. The OP here likes it better than his Olympia Club: https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/sama ... na.106957/

How did you clean the parts?

Please post measurements and pictures as you progress. I love pics and data :D

grog

#4: Post by grog »

I used to have a Sama Export that used that W seal - it's the older piston style (the new ones take 3 u cups). Ponte Vecchio doesn't make those seals anymore, but you can use the ones for the Elektra MCaL. The other seal on the piston is the standard u-cup type.

The thermosyphon is definitely a cool feature of these machines. If they had the build quality of the Olympia Club along with the thermosyphon setup, that would be something.
LMWDP #514

max

#5: Post by max replying to grog »

This is not the machine you think it is. It doesn't have a thermosyphon and built very similar to the Olympia Club. Check here for more details:
Lever Espresso Machine Gallery
Domestic Lever Group Flange Bolt Pattern

This group is 45mm, so the Elektra seals will unfortunately not fit.

xxooxxoo (original poster)

#6: Post by xxooxxoo (original poster) »

Yeah Micro casa's group system is more similar to bezzera family lever.

Can I replace the w piston gasket to ponte's gasket?

One open up ,one open down

Anyone try it before?

max

#7: Post by max »

I have never restored a spring group, but I would say no.
There needs to be seals in 3 directions: 2 between the water inlet and the group + 1 protecting the spring area from water.

crazy4espresso

#8: Post by crazy4espresso »

xxooxxoo wrote:Yeah Micro casa's group system is more similar to bezzera family lever.

Can I replace the w piston gasket to ponte's gasket?

One open up ,one open down

Anyone try it before?
No, not without modifying the piston. I've used an MCAL "W" seal on an old 45mm Riviera group (similar to Export), and though the inner diameter is not the same, it worked.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

grog

#9: Post by grog »

max wrote:This is not the machine you think it is. It doesn't have a thermosyphon and built very similar to the Olympia Club. Check here for more details:
Lever Espresso Machine Gallery
Domestic Lever Group Flange Bolt Pattern

This group is 45mm, so the Elektra seals will unfortunately not fit.
It's not clear to me from the OP's photos that this is a Sama Club rather than a Lusso, but I'll take your word for it since you've previously owned one. As far as the seals, I'm not talking speculatively - I've successfully used the Elektra seals on a 45mm Sama piston. I had them in use for over a year and they were still going strong at the time I sold the machine.
LMWDP #514

max

#10: Post by max replying to grog »

My bad; I misread the reply. The whole thing is a bit confusing, since this is neither a SAMA Club, nor Lusso (as documented by Francesco), so I thought you had the SAMA Club in mind, which indeed has an MCAL group with thermosyphon.

I don't understand how it works, but it seems like two have successfully used the MCAL one, so I trust it does :)