Sage/Breville Dual Boiler stays hot when turned off - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cocoash

#11: Post by cocoash »

It has nothing to do with UK outlets. I had the same problem. Happy to inform:
- 10 mins disassembly of the triac PCB
- 10 mins soldering the new triac
- 15 mins connecting the PCB and reassembly
and Voilà - It works!!!

All it took is replacing a $1.7 triac.

here is the culprit:

koliniva

#12: Post by koliniva »

Hey,

Quick question, how do you when which TRIAC to replace? My brew head is overheating while off and plugged in. Is there a schema?

Kind regards,
Kolin

koliniva

#13: Post by koliniva »

cocoash wrote:Thank you for the tip. I suspected it was a "relay" issue. I removed the triac pcb, tested the triacs and one of them is done...
I ordered a new triac - Mfr#BTA06T-600CWRG. It's about $1.7 - hopefully everything else on the IC is ok... We'll see in 5 days.
Hey , just a quick question, what was overheating for you? My brew head is going nuts and I don't know which one of the 3 to change, seems like there are 2 Q6015 and one BTA06T-600CWRG. Can't source the bta ones in the uk that easily...

Uriah

#14: Post by Uriah »

You can follow the wire colors. I believe the group head is the BTA06T-600CWRG one

koliniva

#15: Post by koliniva »

Gotcha. I managed to re solder but the problem persist. Possibly faulty triac...

nmgeek

#16: Post by nmgeek »

koliniva wrote:I managed to re-solder but the problem persist. Possibly faulty triac...
Did you try buying a replacement triac and soldering that in?
I have the same symptoms except the plastic on the triac melted away: Breville Dual Boiler 920 XL Overheat After Standby

Mark_s

#17: Post by Mark_s »

Hi there. I'm looking for a replacement PCB/Triac in the UK. Where did you get yours from? Many thanks in advance.

nmgeek

#18: Post by nmgeek »

I purchased a Triac board from an appliance parts seller on eBay. I think all Triac boards for sale on eBay were in Australia.

skrobul

#19: Post by skrobul »

Mark_s wrote:Hi there. I'm looking for a replacement PCB/Triac in the UK. Where did you get yours from? Many thanks in advance.
I was looking for the triac and ended up finding one on eBay but the seller is taking their time to dispatch it, so I've just bought other one from RS Components because they had local collection. Replaced this afternoon, but unfortunately did not resolve the problem so I'm starting to suspect the other IC on the board.
Sadly in my case I realised the problem when it was too late and the steam boiler thermal fuse and it was pretty long job to replace it.

Anyways, If you find the source for PCB in the UK, please share. Maybe the coffee classics have some?

Ordering from Australia is an option but the postage is like £30+, not sure about customs and taxes

skrobul

#20: Post by skrobul »

koliniva wrote:Hey , just a quick question, what was overheating for you? My brew head is going nuts and I don't know which one of the 3 to change, seems like there are 2 Q6015 and one BTA06T-600CWRG. Can't source the bta ones in the uk that easily...
I wish I read that earlier - just realised that I've replaced wrong triac... but it still works - if you are in the UK, RS Components have the BTA ones. I used BTA16-800BWRG. When looking for replacement I went through list of similar triacs and looked for closest match. Meaning
- Insulated - 'BTA' is ok, 'BTB' is not
- rated 6A or more '06' stands for 6A, '16' for 16A and so on
- CW means 35ma snubberless, BW means 50ma - good too.
- 600V or more (i.e. 800V)

There were a lot of others that would match these requirements, but they are either out of stock or sold in packs of 100.

Lastly, now that I realized that I've swapped wrong triac, here are connection details on my BDB 920:
  • Orange wire goes to the brew head and uses BTA06T-600CWRG
  • Red wire goes to the coffee boiler and uses Q6015
  • Brown wire goes to the steam boiled and uses Q6015
  • grayish wire is the source
Hopefully that should answer the 'which should I replace" question.