Sage/Breville Barista Touch reverse engineering (began with a heating problem) - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
old_bear (original poster)

#11: Post by old_bear (original poster) »

It seems to drive the solenoid, through the red wire. That's the third (right, looking from the rear), going to either group head or hot water orifice (can't recall). And if I remember correctly, the engaged solenoid would be closing the hole, meaning that the water would go up, not to the consumer, so "enabled" consumer means "switched on" for solenoid.
That does not fully add up still.

However, since the symptoms suggest a floating defect between "all good" and "all cold and some sh** in at least one number", and there is also a correlating buzzing from the area of visible abnormal component, it is a clear step to execute.
Now have to wait for the notoriously quick Norwegian delivery. Happily by Christmas the thing will reach me...

old_bear (original poster)

#12: Post by old_bear (original poster) »

A (hopefully) conclusion of the research.
I did replace the optocoupler, which did not help.
But! Then I finally noticed that the crazy behaviour correlates with noises in the electric supply.
I have an ongoing problem with a variable frequency drive to my well pump - and apparently, it does not just buzz, it also makes Sage machine insane.

A hard lesson: Breville/Sage Barista Touch is exceptionally sensitive to high frequency electric noise.