Saeco Via Venezia - dimmer and OPV mods

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
coyote-1

#1: Post by coyote-1 »

By request. I modded my machine with the things in the title. Not original on my part; the info is already all out there. But here is a condensed overview.

1. Dimmer for flow control. Image of finished mod:
userpix/101824_5960121e-28e8-4feb-9709- ... 325BQ.jpeg

Details: I purchased an AC lamp dimmer switch, the kind you find in a typical floor lamp. They are ten bucks on Amazon or eBay or whatever. Took the red wire off my pump and attached that to the black wire on the dimmer, and the white wire on the dimmer goes to the terminal where the red wire was. I soldered that connection. It works as you would wish.

To mount it, I drilled a 1/16" pilot hole then used whatever size bit works for the dimmer to widen it to the correct diameter. I drilled slowly and vacuumed the whole time, to prevent any/all slivers of metal from getting into the machine (or on the floor).

The OPV mod is easy. Simply take the overflow tube off the valve (carefully), and turn that bit out. Image below. You can see the hex area for adjustment. If your machine does not have an adjustable OPV, you can add one. Virtually any available one would do the trick.

★ Helpful

Mad Scientist

#2: Post by Mad Scientist »

coyote-1 wrote:By request.
Thank you for posting this for me.

I haven't taken the top off yet to look at the vibe pump area. What am I looking for? What does the OPV do, is it to reduce bar pressure?

Are you using a non-pressurized basket?
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

coyote-1 (original poster)

#3: Post by coyote-1 (original poster) replying to Mad Scientist »

My pleasure!

The OPV would be right after the pump. It's a "pressure release" valve in the parts diagram, but it is indeed identical in function to an OPV. Above X pressure, it diverts water back to the reservoir. And that pressure point is adjustable.

I am using an unpressurized portafilter. The existing Saeco portafilter can be made unpressurized by removing its internal mechanism (there are instructions for this around the web).

Mad Scientist

#4: Post by Mad Scientist »

coyote-1 wrote:it diverts water back to the reservoir. And that pressure point is adjustable.
So, you have a return hose to the reservoir? I just have one hose and assume I don't have an OPV then.
Londinium 1 (2014)

#5: Post by coyote-1 (original poster) replying to Mad Scientist »

If you could post a detailed photo of the interior (from above) of your machine, we could know for certain.

Mad Scientist

#6: Post by Mad Scientist »

This is my pump. I don't think I have an OPV.
Londinium 1 (2014)

#7: Post by coyote-1 (original poster) replying to Mad Scientist »

You do not have an OPV. You could, hypothetically, add one. The space is there for the return tube.

Mad Scientist

#8: Post by Mad Scientist »

I sold my machine yesterday for $65. I stripped it down to just the original OEM out of the box. I purchased new 4/95 for $300, $600 in todays money. I'm sitting on all the mods I added in 2019, Auber PID controller, Seattle Coffee Gear bottomless portafilter, Reg Barber tamper & IMS 49mm group screen.

No doubt, if I had an OPV and found you earlier, it could have been a different story.

As a side note, the original pressurized FILTER HOLDER I had wasn't produced for too long. Interesting design and a lot of parts inside. Here is a snap from yesterday.

Londinium 1 (2014)