Rocket Giotto Premium Plus - Very long time before water comes out of grouphead - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
homeburrero
Team HB

#11: Post by homeburrero »

Re the mushroom o-ring, I recently noticed that my Rocket Evo V2 uses a green o-ring that's thicker than other E-61 mushroom o-rings. (see Stainless steel E61 mushrooms ) At least one parts supplier (Stefano's) sells a generic E-61 rebuild kit with both a thick and a thin mushroom O-ring to make sure you're covered.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

orbarya (original poster)

#12: Post by orbarya (original poster) »

Thank you for all the great help!
Jeff wrote:If you're taking it apart, I'd also replace:

* Mushroom upper cap gasket (smaller, often PTFE)
* Mushroom cap gasket (larger, often PTFE)
* Mushroom o-ring
* Two packing washers on the lever shaft
* The gasket inside of the lever assembly (often PTFE and often the same as the larger, cap gasket)
* Exhaust snout gasket (often PTFE and the same as the larger, cap gasket)
* Exhaust outlet gasket (often PTFE, medium size)

I usually order a couple extra of the mushroom gaskets, as they may not seal up well if you remove the mushroom to check for scale.

If you don't already have Molykote 111 (or equivalent), you'll need a few dabs of that as well.

I have a preference for the Cafelat silicone group gaskets over the hard-rubber, OEM style ones
so will this rebuild kit cover all the gaskets and other parts you mentioned? if I order this in addition to all three valves am I covered completely?

https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... ebuild-kit

homeburrero
Team HB

#13: Post by homeburrero »

Your plan looks good to me. Your three new brew valves will have seals alreadty in them, and you can perhaps install the new seals in the old valves. Sometimes the pins break when trying to replace the little seals so you'll be covered in case that happens. If the old pins are good (not worn at the ends) and you succeed in getting the seals changed then you'd have a spare set ready for the next time.
Pat

#14: Post by orbarya (original poster) »

Very good I will order this kit as well!
thanks for the help homeburrero and Jeff!
What recommended videos are there that explain how to replace the valves and gaskets and everything else I am ordering?

is this one a good option?
I basically have no knowledge of the e61 group head structure and how it works but I'm eager to learn :)

JRising
Team HB

#15: Post by JRising »

orbarya wrote: The lever squeaks and is difficult to move so will replacing the spring help that?
Replacing the valves should help that. The squeak is often from the valves being worn at a slight angle. New valves with a dab of molygrease on them shouldn't squeak at all.

cafeIKE

#16: Post by cafeIKE »

!! DO A COMPLETE DESCALE BEFORE REBUILD !!

Get parts for the Rocket from a Rocket dealer. Generics don't always fit.

Get some silicone lube and also replace the cam lever and its gaskets.
Lube the cam face and do it every couple of months.

Springs are optional, but since only a few extra shekels, I do it at each rebuild.

Get a silicone group gasket.

homeburrero
Team HB

#17: Post by homeburrero »

That certainly is a complete video, and it nicely covers the Rocket group (which is slightly different than cafeIKE's pictured group.)

In the video he soaks the whole mushroom and cap in a citric acid solution. That can damage the polished chrome finish if you were to mix the solution too strong or leave it in too long. It would be a little safer if you were to use a hot 50:50 white vinegar and water solution, leave it in only 15 minutes at a time, and rinse well. You may have deposits on the mushroom that don't dissolve in the descaler that you can remove with a soft scrubber. I usually remove the little brass gicleur (jet) with a 7mm socket, and descale or clean that separately. It has a tiny (0.8mm) hole that needs to be very clean.

If your group mushroom turns out to be one of the ceramic ones, treat it with special care -- they break easily.

Periodically lubricating the cam face is easy and worthwhile, especially if you do a lot of detergent backflushes.

I'd say that you should get the parts from a dealer who knows that they fit your Rocket, which Stefano does.
Pat

JRising
Team HB

#18: Post by JRising »

For what it's worth...
Rocket-espresso.com's dealer locater suggests:

CREAMA PLUS CAFE LTD
1 Hyarmuch st.
Ind. Zone YAVNE
ISRAEL
Phone: 972-8-9331099
Fax: 972-8-9331140
contact@creama.co.il
www.creama.co.il

for Israel. You might try them for parts.

#19: Post by orbarya (original poster) »

Wow so much great help, thank you!

I found this video to explain better and I think I understand how to replace the 3 valves now.
cafeIKE wrote:Get parts for the Rocket from a Rocket dealer. Generics don't always fit.
Oh no, I already oredered the 3 valves from chriscoffee.com and the Grouphead E-61 Rebuild Kit from Stefano. I hope it will fit.
cafeIKE wrote:DO A COMPLETE DESCALE BEFORE REBUILD !!
I'll find some video for that as well :D
JRising wrote:For what it's worth...
Rocket-espresso.com's dealer locater suggests:

CREAMA PLUS CAFE LTD
very cool, I'll try to see if they sell parts!

About replacing the cam lever and springs, I didn't order these parts, do you think it's necessary?

cafeIKE

#20: Post by cafeIKE »

orbarya wrote:About replacing the cam lever and springs, I didn't order these parts, do you think it's necessary?
It depends on the cam face wear. If the cam has a smooth contour and doesn't look like it has a flat spot, it's ok. FWIW, I rebuild about every 5 years [≈6k shots plus 6k pre- plus 6k post-flush actuations = ≈35k+ swipes] and even with lubing, the cam develops a flat spot. It's likely not an issue, but a stitch in time...

The parts should fit. Stefano has serviced more than a few Rockets