Rocket Cellini Evoluzione V1-Updates, Mods, and Maintenance

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
wachuko

#1: Post by wachuko »

When I got it - Buying thread: Rocket Cellini Evo V1

When I first got it to work and Eric's thermometer install : Rocket Cellini Evoluzione V1

I decided not to go for the La Marzocco GS3 AV and will be getting a Londinium R instead. So I will just keep my Rocket as well (sorry little brother! ). So I decided it was time to give some TLC to the Rocket and will be doing the following:
  • Install Coffee Sensor Flow Control Device (I have been waiting since March 23rd for this...should be here no later than next week)
  • Replace white gauges with black gauges... only because I want all the gauges to match :roll:
  • Replace current IMS screen in the machine with the new IMS Nanotech shower screen
  • Replace current red silicone gasket with yellow silicone gasket
  • Clean, replace any additional gasket, grease whatever needs a tab of grease - normal maintenance
  • Replace Decent Espresso baskets with IMS Baristapro Nanotech Precision baskets (ridgeless)
Since my Rocket came with no portafilters, I initially purchased Decent Espresso portafilters for it... a few days ago I ordered a Rocket portafilter and when I started using it, I noticed that it locks at a different angle than the Decent... not a big deal, but was not expecting that...was hoping it would lock at the same angle. After the coffee is dialed in, I prefer to use the single spout portafilter.

DE portafilter

Rocket portafilter

Red silicone gasket... IMS baskets, IMS shower screen, and yellow gaskets arrives from WLL on Friday

Flow control kit. Whenever it gets here, I will take an actual photo of what is included and share it. These are just photos I found on the web:

A concern that I have is that I will loose Eric's thermometer with the switch to the flow valve... I need to find an alternate method to measuring temp... will search on that to see what others are doing.

Any other thing that I need to do while I am in there??
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

wachuko (original poster)

#2: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Order from Whole Latte Love arrived today...

Flow control valve from Coffee Sensor looks like it will arrive May 1st...

So let me get something done... Removed shower screen and gasket.

Now to remove the grouphead diffuser...

Let me place all of that in a mix of cafiza... will be right back...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#3: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Coffee should taste better now, right?

I cleaned both the older IMS shower screen and the grouphead diffuser... I will be replacing the shower screen... any sense in saving this one?

Grouphead diffuser installed...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#4: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Pretty... E61 200 NT vs what I had before E61 200 IM - so the difference is just the coating? Shower pattern should be the same?

Now in place... gasket has rounded chamfered edges on the side with the logo. Placed that facing up so that the flat side faces the portafilter...

And look at that! Original Rocket portafilter now locks in the correct position. Nice.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#5: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Baskets... I got one 15g and one 20g - both ridgeless.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#6: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

This arrived just now. Coffee Espresso E61 Flow Control Device (FDC)

Kit includes:
  • Stainless steel flow Control
  • Choice of 2 handles:
    • Non-flip
    • 180 degrees flip handle- Suits models with a low group head .
  • Pressure gauge 0-16 bar (The gauge has a direct M6 thread on the back, so the installation is pretty simple and straight forward.)
  • Teflon gasket for mushroom washer.
  • Teflon tape and small hex wrench needed for gauge installation;
  • Spare set of gaskets: 1 x mushroom gasket + 2 x o rings for the stainless steel needle valve.
It does not come with a different spring like the one from Whole Latte Love (I would have purchased that one but was not available)... Not sure if not needed here because of different design or what... sorry, not sure how the one that WLL sells works... just letting everyone know what this one includes...

I will be using these instructions...

How to install:
  1. ALWAYS WORK DURING INSTALLATION OR DISMANTLE PROCESSES WITH THE MACHINE COOLED DOWN;
  2. Set the pump pressure to correct working pressure, between the usual 9-10 bar. Some put it in 9.5 bar. It's your call;
  3. Check the OEM flow rates of your coffee machine, BEFORE INSTALLING THE FLOW DEVICE. It's best to know the OEM starting point. This means to check in 10 or 20 seconds for example, how much water the machine gives you per second, without our product installed; the flow can be measure in ml/sec or grams/sec;
  4. Install the group head manometer BY HAND / USING ONLY THE FINGERS AND ALWAYS TIGHTEN ONLY TOUCHING THE BODY OF THE GAUGE (BACK PLATE) AND NOT THE FACE / MASK / GLASS.
    Use a little Teflon tape (white tape provided inside the box) on the gauge's thread for sealing purposes. Grab the manometer's body (NOT FACE) with your hand / fingers and make a few turns with the tape (ALWATS CLOCKWISE), to seal the gauge properly. DON'T USE A KEY OR WRENCH WHEN TIGHTENING. This could damage the thread on the manometer / thread inside your GH. THIS IS A FINGER TIGHT PROCEDURE. Insert gauge inside the GH until you feel it touches the end of the hole. Just make sure the readings are positioned horizontally and that's it. Test with a blind basket for any water leaks. FOR YOUR SAFETY, MAKE ANY TESTS NOT SITTING IN FRONT AND NOT LOOKING DIRECTLY AT THE FLOW CONTROL DEVICE OR AT THE GAUGE !!! Just stay close and pay attention to any air pressure / water leaks. If there are any present, close even better the FCD or turn the gauge a little bit more clockwise. If there are not any leaks present, you are good to go.
  5. Install the flow device and check the new flow rates it gives you at different points (angles or clock digits). You can install any handle and set the COMPLETE CLOSED / SHUT OFF point at any desired degree / hour position, like 12 o'clock, 9, 6 or 3; We are going here counter clockwise;
  6. Check the flow output by turning the flow like we said, counter clockwise; you should see on an ECM machine for example, if the SHUT OFF COMPLETELY point is set at 12 o'clock, that at 9 o'clock, you could have a 3 ml per second flow, at 6 o'clock a 5.7 - 7 ml per second, and at 12 again, about 7.3 ml per second and so on;
  7. Always use a cup with ml on it or a scale to determine best water output as stated above;
  8. Split the results in 10 or 20 (the number of seconds you left the water run with the pump ON), to determine the correct water output your machine gives PER SECOND; this is how you determine grams per second or ml per second flow rate using the Flow Device;
  9. Understand that the FCD touches the group directly. This means it WILL GET HOT DURING OPERATION. Pay attention when turning the FCD's handle, NOT TO TOUCH ANY METAL PARTS. The handle itself is made from a special heat resistant plastic, so no harm there;
  10. Decide if you wanna extract coffee using the flow or pressure parameters (or both). These are different aspects during extraction. Explained as simple as possible, if you want to handle / influence the extraction considering flow, you need to know your flow points and the water output at certain angles;
  11. If you want to use pressure as no. 1 parameter, just watch the group head manometer / gauge readings and use the Coffee Sensor Flow Control Device for E61 group heads to obtain a certain pressure at a certain moment. But we recommend using flow, because pressure rises and lowers fast (the gauge readings fluctuate), while flow is usually constant, after determining the water outputs;
  12. The FCD work mode is influenced by a lot of factors , some of them in a bad way, like warned out gaskets, springs, SCALE BUILD UP INSIDE YPUR GH. Pay attention to these details, if you wish to obtain best results with out product ! A bad seal somewhere could mean that the FCD just cannot fully operate and give you normal low or high pressure during operation.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#7: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Did 20 runs at 10 seconds and weighted each run... Average output was 136.3 grams. So the average flow came to 13.6 grams/sec.

Now to install... I am not going to install the pressure gauge for now. I need to find a solution for the thermometer first...

Back in a few...need to let the machine cool down first.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#8: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

That was easy...

Again... do not want to remove the Eric's Thermometer until I find an alternate solution for that...

Now to measure how many turns to get to normal flow.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#9: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Okay... one full turn will take me to stock flow.

Anyone using something different apparatus to measure temp?? I would like to install the pressure gauge...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#10: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Okay... sharing photos of the mushroom... understand, all the pars in the machine were replaced with new parts. When I found them, factory parts were used... Problem is that I was not using good water with it. I ran it with the tank and filling it with tap water. It was not until Jan of this year, that I finally installed the BWT filter kit that I got (like two years ago!! ) from WLL...

So even if I got this machine back in 2017... it sat unused for about a year... So this is water damage from only a year or so :shock:

Wachuko - LMWDP #654